13

3rd person
Darryl watched his friend get smaller as he walked away until he eventually slipped into the hospital. He sighed. This had to be hard for Zak so he wanted to make sure to be there when he was done just as he promised. Leash in hand, the man and his dog walked to a nearby park. He unclipped rats leash and laughed a bit as she ran around chasing poor birds in the grass.

A loud ring startled the man as he pulled him phone out of his pocket.

"Bad!" His friend Dream screamed into the phone as Darryl recoiled pulling the speaker away from his ear.

"Hey Dream what's up."

"We've all been worried about you guys. First Skeppy streams looking like shit then disappears then you just fall off the face of the earth too, like the fuck?" Dream rambled.

"First of all, language. But yeah, sorry for not giving you guys a heads up or anything. Ive been busy with Zak." Darryl confessed.

"What, are you his mommy" Dream laughed a bit, him and his friends used to lovingly teasing Bad for the soft spot he clearly had for Skep.

"What? No, shut up Dream. He's just not doing well right now." He said a bit defensively.

"I know Bad, I know." Dream said softly through a smile. "I'm just messing with you. Is he okay?"

"I don't know. I guess? He's working on it but the doctor said progress isn't instantaneous." Darryl said quietly. Silence filled the call for a minute, till he started thinking out loud, "It's so out of the blue he seemed so happy but he's hid everything so well these years. How didn't we notice till he hit rock bottom, Dream?"

"People just want to show the best version of themselves on the internet."

"Yeah."

The spent a white talking on the phone. About their pets, Rat and Patches. And about Dream maybe going to the UK to make it up to George and his fans for faking the vlog. And to having Skeppy join their next minecraft manhunt, when he felt better of course.

Eventually though, Darryl's phone went off, startling them both, letting him know it was time to head back to pick Zak up. He and Dream said their goodbyes and Darryl walked rat back to the car.

A few minutes passed and he looked over to see a frustrated Zak, begrudgingly making his way over, opening the door and dropping himself into the seat. Darryl stifled a laugh at the funny look of his friends face, it was like seeing an angry teddy bear.

"What's wrong Zak?" He dragged out his name a bit trying to lighten the mood.

     "Group therapy is shit. This is why I stopped going to therapy last year." Zak spat out still annoyed.

     "Why'd you say that?"

     "They're just picking and prodding at everything, like damn just let me be sad." Darryl just hummed, thinking before answering, not wanting to come of as condescending.

     "Isn't that the point of therapy?" Darryl mumbled, reaching over to massage Zak's tense shoulder.

     "I mean yeah," Zak said thinking how much was too much to say, not wanting to scare his friend away with too much pessimism, "but shit, they may as well just let me be sad. Group therapy is such a pity party. They baby everyone like they're crazy and fragile. I'm not crazy or fragile."

     Darryl watched as Zak stopped talking and sighed, running a hand through is hair and leaning his elbow on the window.

     "You're not any of those things. Seeking some extra support doesn't make you crazy or fragile or weak or whatever your minds telling you you are, Zak." Darryl smiled, content when Zak nodded and smiled back giving him a quiet thank you. "Why don't we do something fun?"

     "Like what?" Zak said perking up a bit.

     "We could hike a bit." Darryl suggested, and Zak agreed.

     They left the hospital and drove to a nearby supermarket, Darryl picking a to go lunch salad for Zak and a bowl of macaroni for himself, as well as three water bottles. They parked at the bottom of a pretty empty hiking spot that lead to a bunch of picnic tables at the top of a grassy clearing. He saw Zak looking pretty tired, and they sat down at the table in the very center. They poured out some water for rat, who was equally exhausted after the walk, even forcing Darryl to carry her up the last bit.

     With a bit of encouragement Zak was able to finish up his salad. His anxiety bitting at him every now and then but Darryl tried to keep him in the moment pointing out deer and a few birds or cool looking flowers.

     The rest of the day went by peacefully as they made their way back down to the car after watching the sunset. Almost tripping a few times on twigs in the dark path. The settled in back at home and decided to watch a horror movie, Zak getting to laugh at Darryl's expense as the other hid under the blankets in fear.

     Darryl felt Zak's head fall onto his shoulder and he paused the film. He scooped Zak up with ease and carried him over to his room, tucking him into the light blue comforter. As Darryl walked back to his own room, he smiled at the peaceful look that was on Zak's face, hoping his friend would have nothing but happy dreams, he deserved it.