9

3rd person
     The two weeks were up and Darryl was getting ready to go pick Zak up from the hospital. They hadn't seen each other face to face this whole time, facetime calls the only thing they had keeping them in touch this whole time.

     He brought his rat in his car with him, hoping she'd give Zak some comfort. When talking to Zak recently, he seemed optimistic. At first it had been hard for Zak, a lot of face time calls being just them sitting in silence after him breaking down begging to just go home. But eventually, he gave in actually trying to comply with the treatment.

     While pulling up to the hospital, Darryl felt excited to finally see his friend again but he couldn't help but be worried that nothing had changed. Before coming he had talked to Zak's doctor's. They told him that although his friend was definitely in a better place now then when he was admitted, recovery would have its ups and downs. The psychiatrist also suggested an intensive outpatient program for Zak, group therapy along with individual therapy multiple times a week. Darryl had never really been in this situation so he felt a bit lost, but he agreed to IOP if it would help his friend.

     The song he had been zoning out to ended and silence filled the car. He took a sharp breath in, mustering up the courage to walk into the building. He walked inside and let the receptionist know he was going to pick Zak Ahmed up. She checked something on her computer and called presumably the floor he was at and turned back to Darryl and asked him to wait outside and they'd bring Zak out.

      Darryl stood outside and leaned on a tree by the main entrance. He scrolled on twitter a bit and saw a lot of sappy fanart people had made for his friend. He saved a lot of it to show Zak later on if he felt up for it. As he was retweeting something, the crack of the heavy hospital doors opening surprised him. He looked up and saw Zak being lead out by a nurse.

"Darryl!" he explained running up to him with his arms extending. He jumped at the slightly taller man. He snuggled his face into the others shoulder, "I missed you."

Darryl felt his heart flutter a bit, also so happy to finally be with his friend again. After regaining his balance from almost getting knocked down by his friend jumping up on him, he put his arms around Zak to steady him as he walked over to his car. The two got into the car and immediately the little white dog ran up to Zak and started licking his face. Zak giggled as he struggled to control the fluff ball that was currently attacking him. Darryl smiles at the two and especially at hearing Zak laugh. A tear escaped his eye followed by many more.

"What's wrong?" Zak frowned, placing rat down in his lap and squeezing Darryl's shoulder a bit.

"I was just so worried but I don't know, now seeing you here smiling right now, I'm just happy." Darryl explained wiping his tears with the sleeves of his sweater. Zak reached over the middle of the car and gave his friend a hug hoping to reassure him that for now at least he was alright.

The two stayed in the hug for a while, enjoying the other's company and warmth. Eventually, rat started whining from the lack of attention and they separated laughing at the dog's neediness.

"Let's go home Zak." Darryl said through a soft smile as he started up the car. The drive was quiet but peaceful. Eventually, they got to the downtown area and Darryl spotted his favorite cafe. A small family owned place with warm comforting vibes. He smiled thinking about it.

"Hey you hungry Zak? There's this place I really like here." He suggested, slowing down a bit so he'd be able to park nearby.

Zak just now seemed to zone back in and look around at the unfamiliar town before answering. "Sure, why not."

They parked and made their way to the cafe. The door jingled on their way in. Zak looked around taking in the scent of fall candles and the cute booth seats lined with pillows. Meanwhile, the owners were greeting Darryl.

"I'll have my usual iced americano and whatever muffin you have fresh from today." Darryl chirped, expectantly looking over at his slightly shorter friend to take his own order.

"Um," Zak stalled for a moment as hungry as he should have been he couldn't really settle on anything. Honestly the anxiety over food he'd started feeling recently had been washed out by the euphoria of leaving the hospital. But knowing this was his first outing where he'd be in control, made him kind of lose his appetite He knew his friend was eager to take him here and he didn't want to disappoint so he decided on just a drink. "I'll take a small mocha please, with almond milk."

Darryl glanced over at him, shooting him a quick look of concern, to which Zak just smiled at, hoping to reassure him. They paid, got their items and went to sit at a booth right by the window. Zak scooted to the very corner and brought his legs up to his chest, feeling a bit cold.

"How come you just got the drink?" Darryl asked slightly fidgeting with his fingers, a bit worried.

"Truly, I'm fine." Zak tried smiling it off. "I'm fine. Just after being tube-fed and watched like a hawk till every last crumb was gone at the hospital, I just want a chill second. Like a breather I guess." He reassured his friend, and himself. Darryl just smiled back, choosing to believe him as he started eating his muffin.

He really wanted to get better this time. Last time he had tried felt hopeless, alone in LA. But now he had his best friend with him. Maybe if he really tried, he could get better this time. People always say it gets better, eventually it has to right?

Zak was brought back from his thoughts by the sting of the hot cup against his cold hands. he'd forgotten he was holding it. He took a sip and recoiled from the burning sweet liquid, quickly blowing at the drink to make it drinkable.

Darryl chuckled a bit at his friend's cute mannerisms. The way he made himself seem as small as possible. And how his sleeves covered his hands to hide his face if he ever blushed or laughed. And how he was now gently blowing into his cup to cool down his drink enough for it to not burn. He had really missed Zak, he just wanted to savor this peaceful moment. They had things to talk about but maybe not now. He'd rather not kill this moment.