ONE

✼  ҉  ✼  ҉  ✼  ҉  ✼

✼  ҉  ✼  ҉  ✼  ҉  ✼

WAKE UP

✼  ҉  ✼  ҉  ✼  ҉  ✼

Los Angeles, 2020

Julie Molina let out a soft sigh as she stared at  the white doors in front of her, her hands hesitating on the handles before she finally pulled them open for the first time in a year. The sight of her mother's studio was enough to make her still while she slowly took in the view.

With a shaky breath, the young girl walked over to the light switch and turned them on, watching as the lights lit up to show an object at the other end of the room with a sheet lazily tossed over it. Julie went that way first, her eyes still taking in the room around her before she reached the sheet and pulled it off, letting it fall carelessly to the ground as her hands hovered over the wooden material of her mother's piano.

Julie was silent as she let her fingers dance across the piano, slowly moving around the instrument until she reached the seat. She picked up the left over music sheets and didn't give them a second thought as she set them aside and sat down on the bench.

Her fingers brushed against the keys as a sigh left her lips. Julie looked up with a pained look upon her face, "I'm so sorry, Mom. That I haven't been here."

Julie sat there for a moment after, just taking in the heavy feeling that fell upon her while she was in the room. Knowing she wasn't ready to go through her mother's things like her father had asked, the young girl decided it best to deal with the old instruments that had been left in the studio before they moved in. They were currently in the small crawl space above, so Julie went to the ladder and climbed up until she reached the top.

The first thing her eyes came in contact with was an electric guitar the color of baby pink. It seemed to shimmer in the dull light and Julie was barely able to make out the words 'Sunset Curve' on the side that had obviously been doodled on there by its previous owner.

Pulling her eyes away from the instrument,  she continued to look around and caught sight of another guitar, a keyboard, and some drum sticks that were in front of the rest of the junk her family had thrown up there over the years. Julie let out a soft sigh and her eyes flickered towards the electric guitar one last time. It was then that she seemed to notice the small black case on the floor beside it, the same words 'Sunset Curve' on the front in the same design that was doodled on the guitar.

Intrigued, Julie reached out and grabbed ahold of the CD, shrugging slightly before climbing back down the stairs and heading for the stereo which she quickly inserted the CD into. She gave the CD time to load and walked over to the couch which she sat upon as the music began to play—a guitar riff filling the air before a boy yelled out, "One, two, three!"