THIRTEEN

✼  ҉  ✼  ҉  ✼  ҉  ✼

✼  ҉  ✼  ҉  ✼  ҉  ✼

EDGE OF GREAT

✼  ҉  ✼  ҉  ✼  ҉  ✼

Carlos Molina stuck his tongue out in concentration as he walked through the living room, his tablet up in the air and scanning the room for ghosts. "You can't hide forever, ghosties," he whispered, slowly walking further into the room. He turned his tablet to the side, his eyes widening as the camera locked in on a figure. "Gotcha!"

At that moment the lights flickered back on and Carlos frowned as he looked up to see his aunt standing there instead of a ghost. She gave him an exasperated look as she walked forward, "For the last time, mijo. Ghosts are not real."

"Typical adult," Reggie muttered with a small shake of his head, his eyes flickering over Stephanie, Alex, and Luke who were all sitting on the couch with the brunette sitting in between the two boys. "Do you remember when we were kids, and they never believed what we said?"

"Yeah. I'm pretty sure that's just a 'you' thing," Alex told him. "I was always pretty trustworthy."

"Shouldn't we be more worried about Julie?" Luke questioned. "Her dad just busted her, okay? He's probably making her quit the band."

Stephanie nodded her head in agreement, "I gotta agree with Luke. I feel bad that we got her in trouble."

"Well, there's not much we can do about that now," Reggie pointed out and the brunette sighed and lowered her gaze, knowing that the boy was right. "But. . .we can still help Carlos. Adults not believing children ends tonight."

Stephanie glanced up at the boy who grinned and locked eyes with her. "Showtime," he said before reaching out and flipping off the lamp beside him. The suddenness of the light turning off made Carlos and his aunt freeze, the two both looking in their direction.

"Ghosts aren't real, huh? How do you explain that?" Carlos asked.

"Light bulbs burn out all the time, Carlos," his aunt insisted while Stephanie raised an eyebrow in amusement.

"She's persistent, I'll give her that," Stephanie said.

"Ooh! Wrong answer, tía," Reggie replied before quickly hopping up onto his feet and running over to the window blinds which he began to open and close as fast as he could. "Explain. . .this."

Alex and Luke both sighed and shook their heads at the boy while Stephanie just smiled, amused by the whole situation. Carlos was wide eyed, a smile taking over his features while his aunt gasped in horror and held onto him.