SIXTEEN

✼  ҉  ✼  ҉  ✼  ҉  ✼

✼  ҉  ✼  ҉  ✼  ҉  ✼

UNSAID EMILY
PART TWO

✼  ҉  ✼  ҉  ✼  ҉  ✼

Stephanie wasn't sure why she had written a letter to her parents when she knew fully well she would never give it to them. But one night when she had hit her lowest point, she found herself writing the letter as quietly as possible while Luke softly snored beside her on the couch. It wasn't much of an apology in her opinion, but more of an explanation and she felt the tiniest bit of relief being able to write down what it was that was going through her head on that small piece of paper.

I don't know where to begin. I can't even address this letter because I can't bring myself to write Mom or Dad at the top of the page. It feels like I've lost the right to call you two that. But calling you Emily and Mitch seems even worse.

I hope you both know how sorry I am, how sorry Luke and I both are. Luke would never admit it, but leaving home was the hardest thing he has ever had to do. But you know him. He's passionate about what he believes in and his pride would never allow him to admit that he was wrong for leaving home. But I have to admit, he wasn't the only one in the wrong.

I know you both know how much music means to us, but I think what's missing is the understanding. You can know that we play our guitars day and night, that we spend hours upon hours writing songs and search endlessly for gigs to showcase our talent, but can you ever fully understand what it means to us? How music runs through our veins, the itch to prove ourselves and give to the world the same joy we get to experience so powerful that it overcomes everything else?

Music is a part of us. It's what makes us ourselves. Take away our music and what are you left with? The empty shells of the person we truly are.

That's why Luke left, why he didn't even hesitate to throw his clothes in a bag and pedal away from the place we call home. Because he knows the type of person he is meant to be, the legacy that he is meant to bring to the world.

He's so talented, you know? And you may not realize it now, but he is the strongest and most hard working person I have ever met. You say his dreams won't keep him on his feet and Luke does nothing but try harder. It's one of the many reasons why I admire him so much, one of the many reasons I'm beyond lucky to call him my brother.

I guess that begs the question why did I go? Part of my reasoning was the same as Luke's, but it wasn't the why. So why did I leave if not for the same reason as my brother?