~ chapter 1.7 ~

"My friends, this is a historic Unity Day. Every year, we mark the moment our ancestors of the twelve stations joined to form the Ark, but this is the last time we do so while aboard her. Next year, on the ground."
Some of the delinquents groanedin disapproval. We had done all the work, but we were just kids. And criminals for that matter, so it was expected that we'd get no recognition.
To our sons and daughters on Earth listening to this message, we will see you soon. The first Exodus ship will launch in under sixty hours, carrying you the reinforcements that you need, so stay strong. Help is on the way." The video-stream from the Ark ended.
"Whoo! Yeah! Monty strikes again! Hey! Call this batch Unity Juice! Who's thirsty? Monty! There you go." Jasper started handing out cups. I walked over to Jasper.
"Hey, there." I nudged him, smiling.
"What's up?" He asked, handing me a cup. I shook my head.
"I'm all set. Um, what was it that you said to Octavia the other day? When you were on the Jobi nuts?" He was taken aback.
"Uh, nothing really. I just, um, told her that I saw a Grounder. It was a hallucination, but I didn't handle it well." He laughed nervously. I figured that it wasn't the whole truth, but I dropped it. I wanted to talk to him, not think about him talking to someone else. I huffed quietly, then took his drink out of his hand, downing it in one swallow. I didn't want to remember the rest of the night. I leaned into him, resting my head on his shoulder. I could feel him tense up, then slowly relax. I drank one cup after another until Jasper grabbed my hand and dragged me over to Raven's tent. I wasn't sure what was going to happen but I waited patiently as he stepped into the tent. I heard talking.

"Hey, hey! There you are! All right. Listen. We're playing drunk ball. I bet Monroe my team's gonna win the Unity Day title.." He continued talking, but I'd tuned out, thinking of what could've been. I pushed it away, peeking into the tent.
"Guys? You coming?" Bellamy shoved past me.
"Hey, I-" He ignored me, interrupting my protest.
"Jasper, Cressida, Raven, you're all coming with me." He shoved guns into our hands.
"Bellamy, what is this and why do ypu want us?" Jasper asked. Bellamy wuickly explained the situation. Finn had set up a meeting with the Grounders and Clarke needed backup. Secret backup. Tipsy as I was, I couldn't refuse. He'd picked me and I didn't want to just refuse.

***

We were crouched in the woods, some distance below the bridge and out of sight. Clarke, Finn, Octavia, and the Grounder Bellamy had tortured were standing at one end, and three horses were at the other. A woman came down from her horse and approached the middle of the bridge. Clarke followed suit and did the same.
"Grounder Princess looks pissed," Raven pointed out.
"Our princess has that effect." Bellamy said. We were sitting there, waiting with our guns drawn when Jasper began to speak.
"Oh, no. No. This is bad." He started to stand up. I pulled him back down.
"Hey, what happened to secret backup?" I whisper-yelled at him.
"There are Grounders in the trees, Cress." He pointed his gun, looking around. The rest of us copied him.
"I don't see anything," Raven put her gun down. "Jasper, maybe you need some water." He shook his head, eyes full of fear. Suddenly, quicker than a blink of an eye, he stood and yelled out to Clarke. he started shooting into the trees.
"Jasper, the hell are you doing? Run!" I grabbed his arm.

***

"Got anything to say?" Bellamy approached Finn, back at camp.
"Yeah, I said no weapons!"
"I told you we couldn't trust the Grounders, and I was right!" Clarke shouted at Finn.
"Why didn't you tell me what you were up to?" Raven got in Finn's face.
"Because you were too busy making bullets for your gun!"
I chimed in. "You're lucky she brought that gun, or we'd all be dead right now. They came there to kill us!"
Finn turned to me.
"You don't know that! Jasper fired the first shot!"
"I saved you!" Jasper retaliated, shouting at Finn. More shouting. So much yelling, all the time.
"Well, if we weren't at war already, we sure as hell are now. You didn't have to trust the Grounders. You just had to trust me." He said, staring at Clarke, with anger and sadness and every emotion building up in the tears he was holding back. He shoved past her.
"Best Unity Day ever." Bellamg grumbled. Suddenly, there was a loud noise coming from the sky. The Exodus ship? No, it couldn't be. It's too early.
"Something's wrong," Clarke said. "There's no parachute. They're going too fast." The ship whistled through the air before it hit the ground and sent up a mushroom cloud. Clarke fell to her knees
"No... my mother was on that ship."