Strange

Tic tock. Tic tock. I count the few moments till class is over. I have English, one of my favorite subjects actually, but today's class was very boring since Mrs.Damons isn't here and the substitute teacher is taking her place, it's a shithole. I hear the bell rings and I pack my stuff impatiently, and rush to the door. The hall is crowded so I wait until it's almost clear since I can't bear crowded areas for more than two seconds.

Just a few moments after the hall is clear and just as I start making my way to the cafeteria I hear footsteps behind me. I quick my pace and so does the person behind me, making me feel like they were trying to catch up with me. I start panicking. I get scared of the simplest things after what had happened a number of months ago. I still feel insecure.

"Hey!!" I hear someone yells from behind me. A masculine voice. I freeze for five seconds and turn around slowly, a terrified look wearing my face.

"You dropped your keys." A very handsome guy hands me my key chain and I feel like I've seen him somewhere but I can't recall when or where. He seems so familiar.

"Uhh, thanks?" I say the words in a question tone and I can't really understand why. Am I that weird? The kind who isn't used to any stranger speaking to them and gets nervous whenever I am spoken to? I take the keys from his hand, and try my best to cover up how awkward I was a second ago by forcing a smile.

"No problem. I'm Dan by the way."

Now I remember him

"Carmen." I say smiling, palms sweating for no specific reason.

"I know. We're in the same English class."

"Oh." I respond awkwardly. "I'm not really, um..." I trail off and he chuckles at my reaction.

"It's cool." He flashes a genuine smile at me and I smile at him as I feel the tension in my body escapes.

"Well, I guess we're properly meeting right now, right?" I say trying my best to break the ice.

"Yeah, I guess we are. You gotta put these keys in a safer place, though"

I roll my eyes playfully. "They fall out of my bag all the time! But I'm the one who usually ends up finding them."

"Well, I'm sorry to break your tradition" He jokes causing me to laugh whole-heartedly.

It's strange really. Laughing with somebody other than Jane or Annie. Not only that, but also a stranger. It's strange to me even standing with him right now. It's strange that I haven't snatched my keys out of his hand and ran off like the girl I am. It's strange to me even though it's completely normal to him. Or any other person.

"Please keep doing it." I joke back.

"Alright, but I need something in return" he states faking seriousness.

Something about these words makes me afraid. I know he's joking, but once these words are said to me in a serious situation I would probably shake with fear. I fear people's needs. I fear what people crave. And after what happened to me a year ago, I think I have all the right to be afraid.

"Getting manipulative, aren't we?" I shake off the thoughts and keep the conversation going on playfully.

"Why, of course. I still haven't figured what I want from you, though. But I'll let you know once I do."

"Great." I roll my eyes a small laugh escaping my lips.

"Great." He repeats my words.

"Awesome" I say

"Awesome" he repeats, and I feel a smile tugging at each corner of my lips.

I do something stupid. Of course. I stare at him. However, that feeling fades away once he does the same. I get a feeling that I have never felt before. I feel like staying. Staying in this moment and never leaving it. I want to pause time right there and forget about everything. All the other days I feel like I need a fast forward button to get me to a moment that I would actually like in my life.