Redemption Chapter Thirteen

Okay, so I uploaded! I've got a feeling this chapter is short, but hey, it's better than nothing! I think we're reaching the middle of the book. I've got already everything planned in my mind, and I CAN'T wait to finish it so I can get on with the sequel! Because, yes, this is going to be  trilogy!

Enjoy reading!

:D

Chapter Thirteen

I get up the next morning to discover a new voice echoing from the parlor. My nausea has dissipated and my stomach is growling, since I haven't touched anything that resembled food since last morning. I am sore but feel alright otherwise, and rise to my feet before I go to the bathroom to take a quick shower. When I emerge from the bathroom the scent of bacon and eggs welcomes me. There's a tray filled with toast, a pile of roasted bacon and broiled eggs along with a glass of freshly pressed orange juice. And Lucifer, looking even more appetizing than the food. But I walk to the tray and sit on the bed cross-legged. taking a bite of a toast.

Lucifer watches me as I eat, his eyes trained on me, like he was debating whether to speak or to remain silent, whether to inform me of what's going on or to keep everything from me. I decide to take the matter in my own hands by asking first.

"What's going on?" I ask between two mouthfuls of food.

"I called over Remus and Romulus."

I stared at him for a moment.

"No no!" he said quickly, grinning widely. "Not the founders of Rome! The two fallen Angels specialized in psychic control. The killer must have some experience in the matter, so I thought that I'd ask two specialists for their opinion," he said and leaned against the back of the chair, waiting for my reaction.

I don't react and my lack of emotion must've irritated him, because he stands up and walks out of the room without any word to me. Now he knows how infuriating it is to have no way to trigger a reaction out of another person. Gotcha!, I think with intern triumph. I finish eating and call the room service to take the dishes and once they've gone, I walk into the parlor.

Two men, so perfectly alike that they looked like the same person reflected in a mirror sat on the chaise lounge that stood before the fireplace. They turned their heads at the exact same time, adding to their weird resemblance. They had coffee-dark brown hair, and black eyes, so dark that even in the light of the flickering flames, you couldn't tell the pupils from their irises. They were gorgeous, like any heavenly being I've ever seen, with smooth and beardless faces, and the perfect and straight features and hollowed cheeks.  But any alikeness between them was blown away when one of them brilliantly smiled at me, while the other's face remained as cool as marble.

The smiling one stood up and walked up to me, before embracing me tightly as if we've known each other forever.

"Romulus, at your service," he said when he let me go. "Amazing aura, by the way.  It's so brilliant and pure, no wonder our dear Lucifer has a soft spot for you. And those eyes, remarkable, really. No wonder you have the Sight, with those eyes of yours," he said grandly, his black eyes shining with awe.

His brother remained as untouchable as stone. His dark eyes are trained on me, so different from his brothers softness. They are piercing, as if they could look right into my soul. They unsettle me, because of their intensity. He's silent not saying anything, but as Romulus leaves me face to face with his brother, I utter a low and timid "Hi."

He responds with a nod, his eyes never releasing mine.

"Remus is a man of few words," says Romulus softly, his gentle gaze turning to his brother. 

"I can speak for myself, Romulus." his brother hisses, and I freeze.That hiss, that coldness. That barely dissimulated cruelty. This is the voice.

The voice of my vision!

I shoot a panicked look at Lucifer. No one else notices, but Ethan gives me a concerned look, probably feeling what I felt through our connection. I give him a quick shake of my head, and turn to Lucifer. My eyes meet his, and his stern expression could've looked totally void, but his eyes were questioning.

I want to take him away, away from the man he trusts, and yet who wants to kill him. He's so close...

"It's HIM!" I yell pointing at Remus. "It's him! The guy from the vision, the one who said he wanted to kill you!" I turn my begging gaze to Lucifer.

Allegra is on her feet in moments, her eyes locked on Remus, who remains silent, unmoved by my accusation. She's ready to rip his throat out if he makes any move toward Lucifer. I am glad she's there, and that she's on my side. Who would've guessed that she would be my ally, in the end?

Everybody stares at me, like I was the killer in the room.

"It's impossible," said Lucifer calmly.

"I know it's him! I'm sure!" I say quickly, stumbling over the words in the hurry to get them out.

"I'm sure there must be a mistake!" exclaims Romulus, "my brother is certainly not involved in any murder. The killer is probably a powerful Demon messing around with your head. He also knows you've got the sight. He's using it at his his advantage... to send you messages."

I paused and looked at Romulus. Could he be right? Then my eyes wandered to Remus, and I shook my head. I had a feeling it was him. A gut feeling. And my gut feelings were always right.

But Lucifer seemed to agree with Romulus.

"A smart move. Making us mistrust each other. It is vital that we stay united. That we don't let mistrust creep into our own circle," he said calmly, eyes locked with mine. I shook my head. Maybe he was right. But deep down I knew that I couldn't trus Remus. And as Allegra's eyes met mine, I realized that she still considered Remus as a threat also. She imperceptibly nodded at me, and then at the door that led to the bedroom of the suite. I nodded back, and we both left the room, leaving the guys to each other.

I could feel Remus eyes on my back as I walked, throwing silent daggers at me.

I closed the double French doors behind me and turned to face Allegra, who stood with her back to me, facing the window, gazing at the street below.

She turned to me, her luminous eyes gleaming.

"Even though I do not want to, I think we should form an alliance," she said matter-of-factly. "We cannot let our differences stand in the way of our common goal: keeping Lucifer safe. And if you consider that Remus is a threat, I must consider him one, too. You have the Sight, and the Sight is rarely wrong."

"We should keep an eye on him," I mutter under my breath. She nods. Then looks back out the window.

"It does not mean that I've got any liking toward you, human. I can't stand you. You're my rival. I want Lucifer too. But none of us can have him if he's dead." I was once more shocked by her bluntness. Couldn't she be any less friendly? Seriously... "Deal?" she asks, extending her hand to me.

I hesitate. The last time I made a deal with a Demon, it almost got me killed and took Jason away from me. I bit my lip. No I couldn't trust her. But I knew she wouldn't let anything happen to Lucifer. So I nodded and silently walked up to her, and my hand found hers.

"Deal."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

© Diana N. aka CoolDidi