Chapter Thirty-One - New Opportunities

3rd July 2003:

I walked into McGonagall's office, looking up at all of the portraits of old Headmasters staring down at me. Both Dumbledore and Snape move to face me and I look away as the emotion of their loss hits me.

"They were both phenomenal men." I hear from behind me as McGonagall closes the door and I smile at her.
"They really were... I wouldn't be here today without them." She nods her head and invites me to sit down.

"I wanted to know if you are okay after everything that has happened." I look up shocked at her and fold my hands together.
"I'm okay, thank you." I reply, noticing her frown.
"You've had a rough start to life Celia. It's okay to not be okay, as long as you know it will be in the end." I nod at her and sigh, agreeing.
"I'm... I'm struggling, but I'm trying to work through it."
"And getting drunk with Draco Malfoy on a Monday night helps?" My cheeks flush as I feel as though I was getting chastised as a child again.
"It wasn't intentional." I reply, watching her amused face.
"I understand and I know you're working through a lot right now... which is why I brought you here today."
"What can I do for you Professor?" I ask, curious.
"As you might have heard, many Hogwarts professors are deciding to retire after countless years of service in this school, hence Mr Malfoy's recent employment." I nod my head at her and move forward in my seat.
"Would you like me to write an advertisement?" I ask.
"No, that won't be necessary. I know you never really found the right career path for you while you were here Celia, but you have always been an excellent student, especially in the Dark Arts..." I frown slightly as I realised what she was asking of me.

"You want me to teach?" I ask, dumbfounded.
"Indeed, Ms Diggory. I am in need of a new Defence Against the Dark Arts Professor and I'm wanting to know if you would be interested?" I lean back on my seat and cross my arms.
"You really think I could be a good professor?"
"Yes, I do. I believe you can do whatever you wish to. I know you have a stable job at the prophet, but I'm offering this knowing you might be open to new opportunities."
I stared at the women a little longer, still surprised with the offer. I'd never considered teaching before, but now the idea filled me with a new kind of excitement. I enjoyed my job at the prophet, but knowing I'd be in such close proximity to George... a change couldn't sound any better.

"I'd love to accept." I reply, smiling at her.
"Wonderful news! I won't need you to start until the new school year in September. But, you are welcome to wander around and familiarise yourself before the start of the summer holidays. I'll be expecting you a week before term starts, we shall go over everything then."
"Thank you Professor... really." She smiles at me before I walk out of her office.

The week continued similar to how it had started. I spent the rest of my time in Hogsmead finishing my work up and trying to figure out how to tell Rita I was moving on.

"You're very distracted tonight." Draco remarked, kissing my shoulder as he leaned up against me in bed.
"Hmmm." I replied, looking out of the window to see the trees slowly move in the breeze.
"Everything okay?" I turned my head and faced him.
"I'm just thinking."
"About?" He asks.
"Everything..." He smiles slightly as I look into his eyes.
"Care to elaborate?" He smirks, wrapping his finger around my hair.
"So much has changed these last few months. My whole life is completely different to what I thought it would be." I state, sitting up properly and bringing the covers up to warm me.
"Is it a bad thing?" He asks, sitting up with me.
"I guess not? I don't know... I just, I feel like everything I thought I would end up doing is so different to what it's turned out to be."
"So you didn't imagine this then?" He jokes, laughing slightly.
"Did I imagine that I'd end up hooking up with my high school enemy? No, of course I didn't." I reply, laughing too.
"A lot has changed though, even for me." He states, and I nod, agreeing with him.
"It really has."