Toothiana

The car ride home felt like hours when it was only ten minutes. I had no idea what surprise my mum had prepared for me: she'd only said "well... you'll find out when we get home." I no longer thought it was a puppy. It wouldn't have been left at home by itself if it was.

We pulled up on the driveway and I practically leapt out of the jeep, scrambling to get my house keys out of the pocket of my blue jeans. Upon opening the door of the house, I could sense that there was someone else there. Hoping it wasn't Pitch, I turned around to see my mother stepping inside and locking the door behind her. "Go into the kitchen," she whispered.

I could hear the voice of what sounded like a young woman; she sounded busy and was talking quickly, as if she was giving out orders. Through the translucent glass windows of the kitchen door I could see a blur of colours: green mostly. I opened the door.

There she was: Toothiana; the Tooth Fairy; Guardian of Memories and (currently) the only female Guardian of childhood. When she turned to see me, her coloured plumes of yellow, green and blue flexed and her purplish eyes widened. Clearly, all of my baby teeth had fallen out a long time ago, so it had been years since I'd seen one of her little fairies. And it made sense that none of them had stopped in to say 'hi': Tooth was still giving orders in our kitchen! They were way too busy to do anything except their job. But I'd never met Toothiana before, and I was thrilled to see that she was as happy to see me as I was to see her.

She said my name and flew over to embrace me as if I was her long-lost best friend. I hugged her back. Her feathers were soft and unique and I found it incredible that she was part hummingbird. "Toothiana! Wow, you look beautiful!" I exclaimed.

"Aww, you're just as kind as my baby teeth say!" She replied, smiling.

"They talk about me?"

"All the time! Next to Jack, you're their favourite topic!" She explained. I didn't know who Jack was, but I knew that Tooth's flock of little warriors were all extensions of herself - which meant that I was her favourite topic, too.

"Who's Jack?"

"You haven't heard about Jack Frost?" Tooth asked, twitching her feathers and cocking her head. I looked over to see my mum sitting the the table with a glass of milk. She never drank milk: it was often coffee or wine. I rolled my eyes at her subtly, she was obviously trying to make a good impression on the Tooth Fairy.

"No, I haven't."

"He was supposed to find you for your mother earlier. She managed to find you and bring you back, so I assume he did." Tooth explained.

Could he have been the one who spoke to me in the woods? "Does he have a blue hoodie?"

"Yup," Tooth said with a smile, twitching her feathers and hovering to the side and back. I noticed that her feet hadn't touched the ground since the hug and she even moved  like a Hummingbird.

"Can he control the wind?"

"Yes, he can," Tooth replied, her smile growing even more. She seemed excited. "Did you see him?"

"For a moment. He saw me first. He said Pitch had been taken care of." I explained, not wanting to bring up the 'loneliness' bit.

"Okay. Well I have a few things to tell you, why don't we go for a fly?" She suggested. I looked over at my mum, who had just taken a swig of her milk.

"Hm? Oh, yes, go, go." She said. "Miles away, sorry."

~

Toothiana and I left through the front door and my mum saw us out so it wouldn't look like a door had opened and closed by itself. I stretched out my wings and beat them, knocking over the neighbour's stupid-looking garden gnomes. "Oops," I said, not really meaning it. Tooth laughed, flittering over to pick them up.

"Okay, are you ready, _____?" She asked, flying a bit higher.

"You bet," I replied, beating my wings (a bit less strongly this time), before climbing onto the Jeep. Tooth looked confused. "I like to get a run-up," I called, before using my wings to help me jump onto the roof.

"Why's that: trouble flying?" She asked, half concerned-half joking. I laughed:

"It's more fun this way!" I was standing on the highest point of the house. I began to run and then leapt off the building until I nearly reached the floor, stretched out my wings, soared parallel to the ground for a bit, flapped my wings again and spiralled upwards into the sky. I stretched out my wings again and looked for Tooth. I didn't see her and began to panic, before her face appeared in front of mine, upside-down. She'd been above me. "You're a fast flyer. I was friends with a pigeon once. He stopped flying with me because he couldn't keep up." I complimented.

"I have to be: Collecting teeth and leaving gifts is fast work," she explained, "I never really have time to experiment with my flying like you have, though."

"We have time now, don't we?" I asked. Tooth's face appeared serious for a moment, as if she was thinking. A baby tooth suddenly appeared beside her and said something to her. "I'm afraid we don't. But we can still race while I tell you what's going on." She smirked, darting off. I sped after her, whooping.