Bravery and Fun

We reached what appeared to be a cliff's edge, with trees going further inland. The snow had mostly melted with the warm April sun. I stopped flying, hovering in the air as I watched the sandy-looking golden line shorten in front of me: it led to a girl who looked about my age - maybe younger. She was crying. Jack and I exchanged glances, before slowly flying down to her. Landing on the dirt in front of her we realised two things: one, she couldn't see either of us and two, she was lost.

"What the hell do I do?" I hissed at Jack, even though the girl wouldn't have heard me if I shouted.

"Use your instinct," he replied casually, twirling his staff in his hands and leaning on it. I looked back at the girl and observed her: she had dark skin, 4C black hair, coffee-coloured eyes and a tear-stained face. She was wearing hiking boots and was clutching a tiny, pathetic-looking compass. Sticking out of the pocket of her cargo pants was a crumpled leaflet- no, a map. She took off her raincoat, laid it carefully on the ground and sat on it, placing the compass on the floor, before putting her head in her hands and sobbing. That poor girl, I thought. Kneeling in front of her, I looked at the compass: it was broken. Jack took the map from her pocket and called my name: "There's a path drawn on here." There was. It was in red pen and in small writing there were the numbers and letters 'approx 40 mins'. There were three names on the side of the map: 'Abigail, Lucy, Jordan'. That must have been her group. She'd probably gone astray, or they weren't very nice and they'd left her, or something. I placed my hand on her shoulder, trying to use my powers to give her courage - my hand passed through. I felt like a ghost, sickened for a moment as I was reminded how it felt to be intangible.

"Jack, find a way to contact the rest of her group," I instructed, standing up. He nodded and hurried off with a skip and a jump, floating off into the woods.

Before long, the girl calmed down, picked up the compass and map and pocketed them. She wiped her tears, put on her raincoat and began walking in the direction from whence she came. "Jack!" I called out, as loud as I could. I felt a tap on my wing and nearly jumped into the air. "You little-" I began, turning to see the smug boy with the beautiful blue eyes and the silky silver hair. "What did you do?" I asked, referring to the situation.

"Let's just say I found some kids who believe." He smirked. "As long as she keeps walking straight ahead, she'll find the rescue team."

"How are we going to get her to do that?" I asked.

"Watch this," he whispered, before creating a snowflake and sending it her way. It must have done something because as soon as it hit her, she started smiling, and hurried to a tree and began climbing. "Try to make a path for her," he said. I wasn't entirely sure how to do that but magic works with intention so I gave it a go.

A golden line appeared in front of her, from the tree and further into the woods. She giggled, coming down from the tree and skipping behind the path.

Jack and I followed the girl until she reached her group and she looked back at me and mouthed a "thank you". She can see me?
I stood, gobsmacked. I didn't realise my mouth was hanging open until Jack put his hand under my chin and closed it. I batted his hand away as he chuckled. We flew off into the sky.