Falling in love...

Jamie was so energetic when explaining the parts of the story he was in. He and Jack both spoke of Pitch's power, and how they defeated him by making him afraid; how Sandy had come back from the dead to protect the children; how Jamie had been the 'last light' (the last child on Earth who still believed in the Guardians), and how Jack had helped that belief to stay alive, and by doing so, Jamie became the first person to believe in Jack.
Throughout the entire explanation, I found myself staring at Jack when he was the one talking, and even glancing at him every so often when Jamie was. Oh no, I thought. I'd never had anyone my age see me or interact with me, but I'd seen some pretty attractive people, and I knew how being flustered felt. I didn't want to admit it, but I was quite certain I was starting to have a crush on Jack.

When the explanation was finished, a group of other children approached, all in coloured coats and hats. They could clearly see Jack, but one of them nearly walked right through me. I flew up quickly, knowing the horrid feeling of a mortal walking through you, and I did not want to feel it again. "Caleb, you nearly walked into _____," Jamie called.

"Who?" The boy asked, stopping in his tracks.

"She's... I don't know, she's got yellow eyes and black wings and I think she's Jack's girlfriend," Jamie replied, looking up at me.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa," Jack and I stammered, I felt my face heat up. Jamie laughed. "Do they see me?" I asked.

"Whoa," a large girl with tufted brown hair and a pink dress breathed. I took that as a 'yes'. I was still hovering in mid air, and the children's hair and clothes started to be affected by the force from my wings.

"Good afternoon, young ones," I said, being formal again for no reason. One of them asked me if I had magic. "Yes; I can stop the powers of other spirits, I can see in the dark, and if I want to find someone, I see a golden line that takes me straight to their current location." I explained, landing next to Jack.

"I guess you're really good at hide-and-seek, huh?" A boy who looked like Caleb asked.

"I've never played it-..." I was going to suggest we played it at that exact point, but I felt something pulling me away. The edges of the backs of my wings were tinted with gold and when I looked around I saw a golden line leading me into the sky; very far away. I could feel my eyes glowing. "We can some other time, but unfortunately, I must go," I stated, before stretching my wings and launching myself into the air.

~

"Where are you going?" Jack shouted as he flew up to join me.

"Path- line, thing, need to follow, need to go, now," I tried to explain. I flew faster; as fast as I had when I'd caught Jack. This was probably a type of instinct that had recently been activated: All I knew was that I was needed to go where the line led, and I would not stop flying for anyone until I got there... or so I thought.

"We were going to try to get you to become a guardian," Jack shouted after me, trying to keep up. I stopped fast, and he flew past me. I huffed as I flew to him and grabbed him by the arm, continuing to fly while holding him.

"What?" I hissed, glancing at him for a moment - I had to keep my eyes on the line. There was one power I forgot to tell Jamie's friends: I could make people brave.

"Look at you, you probably need to help someone: that's the instinct of a Guardian," Jack explained, his face lighting up. It was plausible, of course it was.

"Well, we'll find out," I replied, uncertain. As much as being a guardian meant I would be seen, I didn't want to leave my mother. Paige Hall was her name. Her ex-husband had left her to take care of me by herself because I didn't live up to his standards. She was all I had: she'd always been there for me, nightmares or not. I couldn't leave her.