s i x t e e n | the first of many

•

At the top of a hill overlooking the city of Seoul lied the Garden's laboratory. It's pristine white exterior contrasting the dark night sky as we drove closer and closer to the building.

At this point Taeyeon had learned of what was happening and was still a bit skeptical of my conclusion, despite her doubts she proceeded to tell me this. " We abide by a rule. Instead of just coming into a conclusion, we have to test the hypothesis first. "

She also got quite angry at Baekhyun when he told her he had brought two drug samples with him.

" You have what with you?! " Taeyeon yelled, frightening Baekhyun and almost causing him to skid to the side of the road.

He got the car back and turned towards her momentarily before looking back at the mirror, " In case you forgot, I'm driving here! Jeez do you want us to get into an accident- " Taeyeon scowled at his words before rebutting- " That'll be the least of your worries when a buddy of your finds you carrying two bags of drugs! Do you want to make the headlines as a junkie cop? "

" We're not even sure if one of them is a drug! "

Jaemin and I watched the two bicker with amusement. I couldn't even imagine the detective and the chemist being madly in love with each other, but at the same time it made sense.

Soon we arrived at a gate in the entrance where two security guards were stationed, Taeyeon showed her ID and they let us inside. After arriving in front the glass doors of the laboratory we entered inside meeting a cool rush of air blowing on our skin.

The inside was white just like the outside. It was empty yet slick and clean, with glass hallways instead of regular walls for onlookers to see what was behind it.

Taeyeon led us to one of the rooms, using a blue keycard to get in.

" Woahh. " Jaemin and I marveled at it. Numerous tools, bottles, instruments, and more were around the place but not scattered randomly. It was all arranged and in order.

Baekhyun took out the two bags from his packet and gave it to Taeyeon, " Here you go, the one on the right is the bag we tested for meth. " She grabbed them and entered a different section of the room. " It'll take a few minutes so you can wait, but don't roam around. "

As soon as she closed the door, Detective Byun left the room.

" Where are you going detective? " I asked him as he lazily strolled about. " To roam around! " He replied from down the hall.

" But didn't Dr.Kim just say not to roam around? " Jaemin asked but the detective waved his hand before turning to a corner out of our sight.

" No wonder they broke up. " I remarked causing Jaemin to chuckle. The corners of his smile then dropped and he pursued his lips. " But do you think your hunch is right? " He asked, " If it is, it'd mean that we'll be dealing with a league of people who much more dangerous. "

I thought for a bit before responding " Well, my hunches never failed me before. If it was false it'd be nice since we'd have nothing to worry about. "

" But even if it becomes true, I don't think I'll back down. "

" We'll. " Jaemin corrected.

My eyebrow raised at him while he yelled, " We're in this together, we're Vin and Java a bounty hunting duo! " It was my turn to chuckle at him. We both shared a faint smile before Taeyeon opened the door.

" Vin and Java? " She said and we instantly stood up and turned our attention to her. " At first I was certain that the second bag was filled with meth as well when I first took a look at it. But as I examined the contents further it turned out to be Fulminated Mercury. "

" Fulminated Mercury? " Jaemin repeated.

" Fulminated Mercury is a very unstable compound- " Taeyeon explained.

" It's an explosive. "

My eyes instantly widened and I dashed out of the room, with the two following me. Outside I saw the figure of the detective and I rushed over to him, " Detetcive Byun! It isn't meth, it's an explosive! "The detective didn't respond and merely pointed towards the horizon, " I know. "

In the distant concrete jungle that was Seoul, a puff of dark smoke carrying the warning of danger emerged.

______________________________

it happened-