Chapter 2

Right there, pinned under the intense stare from the dark brown-eyed, masked stranger perched at the base of the spiral staircase, was when Roseanne felt her jaw drop for the second time that evening. She quickly regained control over it and snapped it shut before her mouth could betray her further.

Someone called up to them, tone sounding irritated and angry, but Roseanne’s focus was entirely devoted to the figure below, dressed in a perfectly fitting, all-white tuxedo and black stiletto high heels. She wore a black bowtie around her neck, which complemented her vicious yet beautifully designed black mask. She looked stunning, and Roseanne did not have to ask who the woman- hair curled and tossed over her right shoulder, that stared up at her with such a fiery gaze- was.

“Ladies! The second floor is out of bounds!” A woman shouted up to her and Jennie, finally pulling Roseanne out of her enchantment. “Do not make me repeat that again!”

“Tiffany, it’s alright…” Lisa spoke, placing a calming hand on Tiffany’s arm, “I gave them permission.” She glanced back at the two, both still frozen in place, and winked at Roseanne in a manner that insinuated she’d be paying her back later for the save.

“Uhhh, yea, ma’am, our apologies…” Jennie jumped in, presenting the irate woman with a cheesy grin, slipping the hand still clutching the stolen brooch behind her back and climbing down the steps. “We were, er- just heading back to the party.” Jennie confirmed, wrapping her free hand around Roseanne’s wrist and pulling her the rest of the way down, passing in between Lisa and Tiffany as they escaped to the ballroom.

Roseanne’s eyes once again found Lisa’s as she walked by, catching the faint smell of her scent that was an uneven mixture of lavender and bourbon. She kept walking, unsure whether out of her own will or because Jennie still hauled her in the direction of the ballroom. But even as she walked away, she felt Lisa’s gaze follow her until she was out of sight, and as tempted as she was to turn her neck and steal one more look at the woman that took her breath away, she refused to do so and allowed herself to be carted towards the still raving celebration.

***

“Lisa! Eyes on me, girl!” Tiffany ordered, snapping her fingers in front of Lisa’s face to grab her attention. “I swear, you are worse than a teenage boy during puberty!”

“Tiffany, I have to go… Can we raincheck this conversation? Thanks.” She spoke, stepping away from Tiffany, ready to dash in pursuit-

“Oh no… We are having this conversation NOW!” Tiffany spoke, once again firmly holding Lisa’s arm thus preventing her from moving. Lisa turned to face her, brows scrunched in a silent plea, bottom lip jutting forward in a pout.

“But, aunt Tiffany….it’s my party!” She tried, giving the woman her best ‘I’m sowwy’ face. Tiffany just shook her head, sighing and rolling her eyes.

“Fine. But you best behave, child… do not let me catch you elbows deep up some poor girls’ dress again or there will be hell to pay, you hear!?”

Lisa furiously nodded her head in agreement, a smirk forming on her face at Tiffany who released her arm. “That’s why I love you!” She leaned forward and gave the woman a grateful kiss on the cheek and left.

Upon entering the ballroom, her eyes scanned it from end to end, gaze scrutinizing every blonde her eyes landed on in hopes she would be the one, but failing to locate the white-masked, brown-eyed beauty to her disappointment. She felt an arm drape heavily around her shoulder and turned to see Somi, her longest and - at the current moment - most annoying best friend hand her a glass of water.

“There you are! I’ve been looking everywhere for you, Lisa. Here, drink, you need to sober up.” She pushed the glass into Lisa’s hand but when Lisa refused to take it, she handed it over to a butler walking by. “Hey, c’mon I didn’t see you eat anything all night, why don’t we-“