Chapter 25

“You’re one to talk… I’m guessing your meeting didn’t go as planned? I’m guessing you expected to just have everything handed over to you on a golden platter like you’re accustomed to? You want some newsflash, Lisa? Well here it is… life isn’t easy like that! Sometimes you have to work for something that you truly want… it’s not just going to fall on your lap because you wished it to!

Lisa smirked; all arrogance and flaunt. “You did.”

And for a moment, Roseanne tried to decipher the meaning behind those two little words. The interpretation was essential in determining how she’d proceed next. She tried to believe there was no malice; no humiliation. Yet the words were crafted as an attack, Roseanne knew. A very successful one at that.

She started to feel her anger subside; retreat like a wounded animal after realizing it was much too weak for a prolonged fight. Lisa must have recognized it, because the sly smirk suddenly collapsed from her face as awareness set in.

“Shit, Roseanne. No, I-I… I didn’t mean that, Roseanne. Please, I-“

“Where’s Axel?”

Lisa crossed the gap between them, slipping her hand – clammy and cold – into her own. “Please… look at me. Roseanne, I’m so so sorry… I swear to you, that just… came out! I didn’t mean it. I would never, ever mean that. Please, forgive me?”

Roseanne watched her. Contemplating her options here: fight or flight. She withdrew her hand. Flight it is. “Where’s Axel, Lisa…” She hoped her steeled, chilled tone would emphasize a seriousness she didn’t feel.

“He’s out with Jiyong! They’re out having lunch with…  doesn’t matter. Roseanne, I’m—“

“Drop him off at mine when he’s back.” She was already reaching for her keys when a hand stopped her.

“Wait! No, babe, please don’t go. Look… today was beyond shitty, can you just give me a break and let this go?”

Change of plans. Fight. Definitely fight. “Give you a break?! For being an uber, entitled bitch? Get real, Lisa! I still can’t believe you have the audacity to act like the victim here! Is this how this is gonna be? Everytime you have one of your frequent ‘shitty days’ I should expect to have to deal with a sour, toddler-version of you? This is NOT what I signed up for, Lisa! I’m not here to be a toilet for you to dump your shit on!”

Lisa’s shoulders sagged, caving inwards until she was hunched in a surrendering gesture. “What did you sign up for, Roseanne? Enlighten me… I apologize for acting the way I did. There’s no excuse for it, but… if you’re gonna run everytime we have a minor argument, are you sure you’ve even signed up for anything at all? Are you sure you even want this?”

Maybe, just maybe, there was a third option to consider here. One that hadn’t occurred to Roseanne until this very moment. Fight or flight… or fix? Surely that could be a solution to many of her predicaments. This one included.

She sighed. “I… I don’t know. I mean. I like you. I like you a lot, Lisa. And I see myself falling more and more for you every day. But… part of me is still so, so afraid of just… making the wrong choice… again!” She chuckled, swallowing hard upon taking in Lisa’s broken face. “Not that I’m saying that’s what you are. I loved Chanyeol, Lisa. Loved him with every fiber of my being. I poured my heart and soul and energy into that relationship and dedicated every fraction of myself into believing that he was the one. What he did… ruined me.”

She wished her lip would stop quivering, and her throat would quit clenching. “It fucking shattered me to pieces and I haven’t felt whole… I haven’t felt safe and comfortable, in a very long time.”