Chapter 11

“FOUL! THAT WAS A FUCKING FOUL!” Jennie shouted from the sideline bench, standing up abruptly and rushing over to where the referee, who had blown her whistle and brought the game to a pause, stood in the middle of the soccer field. “You’re seriously not gonna call that intentional kick to his shin a fucking foul?! Are you fucking kidding me?! Don’t pretend that didn’t just happen, AGAIN, Ginger!”

The ref sighed, shaking her head at Jennie and taking a step towards her. “Jennie, it’s a fucking game. So how about you sit your ass back down and chill the fuck out, alright? Creating a scene isn’t gonna do anything for your boys.”

Axel limped over to where Jennie stood, still blatantly glaring at the redhead referee who once again blew her whistle to indicate the game was back on.

“It’s ok, coach. I’m ok.” Axel struggled over to the bench, plopping harshly onto it and proceeding to roll down his knee high sock. “Sorry… I didn’t see him coming. I should have dodged it.”

“Axel, that little weasel has had it out for you ever since we beat them at the qualifiers. He’s a fucking bully and Wilma over there is too dumb to see it. Don’t ever trust redheads, kid! It’s true what they say about them not having souls.” Jennie kneeled before him, lifting his leg to analyze the damage. Sure enough the early signs of what would soon transform into a horrific bruise was already outlining the surface of his skin.

“Fucking asshat. I swear I can strangle that little shit with my bare hands. Do you know where he lives, kid?”

Axel smiled, chuckling lightly. “I’m good, coach. It’s just a bruise, I’ve had worse. Put me back in?”

Roseanne rushed to the field then, flinging herself over Axel and pulling him into an overdramatic embrace. “I saw it! Oh, sweetie, are you ok? Do you want me to take you home? We can stop for ice cream on the way!”

Jennie rolled her eyes. And the Oscar for Most Melodramatic Blonde goes to… “Chill, Park. The kid will live. Tone down the hugging, you’re embarrassing him!” Jennie pulled Roseanne’s arms away, freeing a blushing Axel from her hold.

“Alright, pull yourself together and get back in there, little man. We can still win this thing and we’re not going down without a fight.”
Axel nodded, rapidly pulling his sock back in place and taking a quick sip of water. Before he had a chance to step back into the game, Jennie pulled him back by his elbow, leaning in to whisper in his ear.

“And uh, you know I’m never one to encourage violence. But I think that little fuckface could use a swift knee to the crotch, if you catch my drift.” She winked, gaining a knowing smile from the boy. “Accidental, of course.”

And after gracing her with his boyish smile, he darted back to his position, shouting orders and effectively leading the rest of the Nightbloods to the offense.

Jennie took a seat next to Roseanne, who resumed her watching with a look of pure concern on her face. “He’s fine, Roseanne. Axel is a tough little dipshit.”

Roseanne smiled, playfully punching the brunette’s shoulder.

“So… care to tell me the steamy details of your date last night? Well, I sorta spoiled the ending for myself, but c’mon! Fill me in! I wanna know what happened before you sucked in her lips into that vacuum you call a mouth! Seriously, Park, I never knew you had such potent suction capabilities!”

“Shut it, you bitch. I should have known you’d be spying.” Roseanne nudged her again, a little harder this time. “How could you let Axel see that, Jen?! He’s 10! I don’t want that engraved in his memory, he’s still so fragile!”