Chapter 24

A few months later

On Tuesday, Lisa awoke before the sun had breached the horizon, jumping in the shower to wash off the remnants of sleep that still clung to her. Her stomach felt unsettled, and her thoughts whirred chaotically in her head as she dressed, slipping into freshly pressed black slacks and a black button-up which she tucked in, all the while running and re-running the possibilities in her mind.

It was early. Far earlier than she had intended to be up by. Still, she had much to occupy her time with while she waited for her partner’s arrival.

Downstairs, she was greeted by a rather cheery Tiffany busying herself with breakfast, humming the echo of a song entirely foreign to Lisa.

“Ah! You look absolutely stunning, child!” Tiffany pressed both her cheeks and leaned up on her toes to give Lisa a kiss. “There’s fresh coffee and breakfast will be done shortly. Also, Darwin is set to arrive in an hour. I have called and reminded Irene of your appointment and that you will be arriving on time. Everything is taken care of.”

Lisa crossed over to the coffee pot, pouring herself a cup. “Tiffany… you didn’t have to do any of that. I told you I’d handle it.” She took a sip. No sugar. Bitter. Dry. She took another. It was exactly what she needed. “I was actually planning on doing all of that this morning. Kinda why I woke up so early.”

Tiffany scooped the eggs and bacon onto a plate, and walked it over to the island where Lisa was perched. “I know… I know you can manage it yourself. Truth be told, I’m just a little nervous. I know how much today means to you… how hard you have worked for it.” She patted Lisa’s cheek, caressing it softly. “You haven’t been back there in years. I can’t imagine how nerve-wrecking it must be for you…”

Lisa swallowed, wishing Tiffany would talk about something else. Yet it was all true. Today she’d return to the building with her surname proudly stamped on it’s exterior. Today, she would finally stop running and face her past.

“I’m nervous too… but,” she gently swiped her fingers across the watch on her wrist, and then across the ring on her neck, ‘it’s time. I have to do this.” The words tasted bitter against her tongue, possibly because they were laced with palpable uncertainty.

“Lisa! Lisa!” Axel slid into the kitchen, feet clad in black socks and bed-hair on full display, holding a loose bowtie in one hand and a bottle of gel and a comb in the other. “I’m in dire need of help! First off, this is not a clip on!” He held the tie up to their gazes. “Secondly… the comb is a goner. It never stood a chance against my hair.”

Lisa and Tiffany laughed, both had momentarily forgotten that he had spent the night. “What?! I have to look sharp! This is my future we’re talking about… It’s all about first impressions. Learned that from Bill Gates.” He babbled, even as Tiffany approached and helped him with the tie, then his hair. “The man is a genius! Although there are a few things he could do differently to better improve his product…”

Lisa had just finished up her breakfast when the doorbell screeched to life. “I got it, Tiffany. Axel, finish up your breakfast and then go brush your teeth! Foul-breath is unlikely to impress Bill Gates, that’s for sure…”

“Good call! On it!” He spoke in between bites, practically inhaling the food.

A dark, murky figure stood just beyond the glass door, waiting an answer. Lisa pulled it open, her jaw grazing the floor the moment she scanned the nearly unrecognizable figure standing just beyond it.

“Holy… WHOA!” Was all she could say, because sometimes, whoa is all is needed to describe something that more legitimate words fail to. “Jiyong… whaa… you look… normal!”