Prologue

"Mommy wait! Where are you going!?" You reach for your mother's jacket as she walks towards the door.

"Mommy please!" You cry out, "Don't leave me with dad! I want to stay with you!" You begin to bawl, only falling silent when you feel a warm hand rest on your cheek.

"Y/n, Mommy has to leave for a while, but I promise-" a stifled sob cuts through your mother's sentence. "I p-promise I'll come back alright? You have to be strong while I'm away, never give up, do you hear me?"

"I'll be s-strong!" You try to wipe away your tears as your mother brushes your white hair out of your face and hugs you tightly.

You wrap your arms around your mother's neck, hardly listening as you hear the door open as someone walks in, only snapping back to reality when you feel your mother wrenched from your grasp.

You look up with tear-filled eyes and see your father, beginning to drag your mother towards the front door by the arm.

"Kai wait!" Your mother tries to pull free of his grasp but fails. "P-please..." her voice cracks as she looks down at you. "At least let me say goodbye-"

"No. I don't intend to let you waste anymore of my time." His response lacked any emotion, his eyes cold and unsympathetic as he looks at you standing there, arms still outstretched.

You watch helplessly as your mother is dragged farther away from you and out the door. The last thing you see is her tear-filled eyes, and then the dull brown of the door as it is slammed in your face.

You are left alone, in an empty house, with the terrifying feeling of uncertainty. Uncertainty of whether you would see your mother again. Uncertainty of what would happen when your father returned home. Uncertainty, of how a five year-old child was supposed to feel after having her mother brutally snatched away in the blink of an eye.

You fall to your knees, trembling. Although you don't cry, the shock of what just happened is enough to jar you to your bones. You don't know that the next 9 years of your life are going to be hell. You don't know, that although your mother promised she'd be back soon, you wouldn't be seeing her for a long time to come.

You don't know, that in 10 years, you will meet someone who changes everything.

— 10 years later —

Beep. Beep. Beep.

"Ughhhhhhhhh, 5 more minutes please?"

Beep. Beep. Beep.

You cover your face with your pillow, ignoring the fact that asking your alarm clock to let you sleep longer was futile.

...

Wait.

"WHAT DAY IS IT?!" You snatch your phone off of your nightstand, ignoring the alarm clock still going off.

7:31
Monday, September 4th

As you stare at your phone, a reminder pops up: "First day of school!"

"HOLY SH- I GOTTA GET READY!" You jump out of bed, and hurry to change into your school uniform. As soon as you're done with that you brush your hip-length white hair, then head to the bathroom to finish getting ready.

You eat breakfast, grab your bag, put your shoes on, and burst out of your apartment door hurriedly. As you turn to lock the front door behind you, someone taps your shoulder sharply.

"Your rent is due y/n! I'm not kidding this time!"

You spin around and see your landlady. The plump old woman spoke again in her nasally voice. "You need to pay it soon young lady! Or I'll have to kick you out!" Although you'd heard this same warning many times, something about her annoyed tone seemed more serious than before.

You smile guiltily, slipping your keys into your bag. "I promise I'll get it to you soon, I'm serious this time. Just please don't kick me out yet." The lady looks at you suspiciously before sighing and continuing down the hall. You breath a sigh of relief, then resume your walk out of the apartment complex and towards the bus stop.

A twenty-minute bus ride, and then a 5 minute walk, through the gates and to the front of the building.

You were finally here.

The prestigious U.A high school, where you would train to become a hero.