Chapter 12

Act I
Chapter 12 ━━ Impossible

Act IChapter 12 ━━ Impossible

━━━━━━━━☆★☆━━━━━━━━

Shelley wakes up in the morning to find Esdras still in the same position as he was last night. 

"Good morning, sleepyhead." He smiles.

Rubbing her eyes, she sits beside him. "You stayed all night?" 

He shrugs. "Yep. I just… like watching over you."

"Creep." 

He chuckles. "Get ready. We're going on quite a long journey." 

"What-" 

"I'll wait outside." He cuts her off, jumping off the window.

After getting ready for the day, Shelley enters the living room to find Charlie cleaning a rifle. He starts to say hello as he notices her, but she just blurts out. "Dad, I'm hanging out with Esdras Cullen today."

He suddenly looks like he’s having an aneurysm. "He’s too old for you."

"We’re both juniors. Besides, I'm not dating him. He's my best friend. I thought you liked the Cullens."

"And I thought your best friend is Billy's boy."

"Jacob isn't around anymore like he used to be. And I think Esdras is way better than Jake and-whatever, he’s outside right now."

"Now? He’s out there?"

"He wants to meet you."

"Good." Charlie cocks the rifle in mock-seriousness.

"Be nice, okay? He’s… important." She reminds and Charlie gives her a reassuring nod..  then she opens the door to reveal one and only Esdras Cullen in a parka and gloves. 

"Chief Swan. I wanted to formally introduce myself. I’m Esdras." Esdras extends his hand and Charlie takes it, but grunts a hello, resisting him.

"I won’t keep Shelley out too late." Esdras says. "My family is going to play baseball and I just wanted to invite Shelley as well." 

"Yeah. I know. Shell's going to play baseball?" Charlie raises an eyebrow.

"Definitely not. I'm just watching them play." She says. "Besides, Bella is going to be there as well."

"Yes, sir, that’s the plan." Esdras tells.

"Well. More power to you, I guess." Charlie says to Esdras, who looks him in the eyes. "She’ll be safe with me, sir, I promise."

As Esdras exits, I try to follow him, but Charlie holds me back.

"You got that pepper spray?"

"Dad."