Chapter 28

"I'm okay, don't worry sweetheart" that were the first words mom said when she woke up. Luckily apart from her broken ribs and a mild concussion, she was completely fine. I was so happy she woke up a little after we had arrived...

She told me to get home though since it was still school tomorrow and she wasn't going to allow me to stay with her. Too bad, I wouldn't have minded skipping school..

I had stayed with her for a little while before the doctors came in and told me she needed rest. To my surprise Daniel and Sarah were still there and dropped me off back home. I had just gone straight to bed and all it took was closing my eyes to fall asleep, knowing my mother was alright.

This morning I'd woken up with a big headache but went to school nevertheless, just as my mom asked.

I arrived at school and parked my scooter, walking to the school building carrying my helmet and bag. A cold shiver went up my spine and I cursed, hoping winter could be over already. I've had enough of the cold.

I quickly walked inside and through the hallways and saw Daniel walking with Oliver. I know he's probably gonna act like a complete asshole again but I just really want to thank him. I don't know if he meant it or not, but I really appreciated him being there yesterday. Even though I just remember stress and panic for my mother I also remember his embrace calming me down a lot. I felt safe.

"Hey Ella, how's your mother?" Oliver asked when he noticed me coming towards them.

"She'll be okay", I smiled which he instantly returned "I'm glad to hear that".

I turned to Daniel and he had his usual passive expression on. Here we go.

"Hey Daniel, I just wanted to thank you for yesterday. I really appreciated it", I told him but no eyeroll or smart mouth came and his answer completely surprised me "No problem, we're here for you".

"Oh yeah, Sarah was looking for you", Oliver told me before he walked away together with Daniel, leaving me slightly speechless. Maybe he's finally starting to trust me to be around him...

"Close your mouth, it's gonna catch a fly", Sarah's voice snapped my eyes back up and I quickly closed my mouth. Hadn't even realised that.

"Thanks again for yesterday", I said and she threw her arm around my shoulder "You could thank me by coming with us this weekend"

She's talking about the weekend at Jason's beach house the group had planned but now I'm not sure if I wanna go.

"I'm not sure", I told her and the look on her face told me she wasn't going to accept that.

"Oh come on, you should come. Ethan's coming too"

"Yes Ella, you should totally go", Alexander suddenly popped up next to me, leaning an arm on one of my shoulders before whispering to Sarah "Where should she go?".

"We're going to Jason's beach house tonight for the weekend", Sarah told him and he chuckled "You're going to the beach in January?".

"Yes and Ella has to come with us", she gave me a stern look.

"I don't know, with my mom in the hospital", I said and her face turned a little softer again.

"Plus, I'm not the biggest fan of the beach. I hate sand, it gets everywhere and it just disgusts me", I added, Alexander chuckling at that.

"You could still go and just wear shoes to the beach", Alexander said, poking my side. I softly hit his shoulder but he just sweetly smiled at me before resting his arm back on my shoulder.

"Indeed, we hang around the house mostly anyway. It could totally cheer you up", Sarah said just as the bell went off and most people started walking towards their classes.