Chapter 57

Flashback about 10 days ago

"Can we not fight right now?" he asked softly and couldn't help but nod. I hated lying to him, I truly hated it.

I stepped over and flung my arms around him, not caring that my cloths got wet.

"I'm sorry, Daniel", he didn't respond but I felt him snuggle his face in the crook of my neck, his arms tightly closing around me.

"What happened?" I asked and he sighed before answering "Mom's bad again and I just needed to see you"

We both just stood there and tears slowly started trickling from my eyes. I just can't believe Nathan is behind this...

I felt Daniel pull back slightly, a worried expression coming to his face as he noticed my tears "What's wrong Clark?"

I couldn't keep this from him, he'll find out anyway.

He just has to know. There's no way I'll get out of Nathan's grip without help.

"Someone has been threatening me to break up with you", I can't even begin to describe how good it felt to finally tell him.

His face turned more serious as one of his eyebrows darted up "What do you mean?"

I reached for my phone in my pocket and watched his face form a glare as he read the texts.

"Son of a bitch", he muttered before he placed the phone down, his eyes coming back to mine "Why didn't you tell me?"

"Because they told me not to and I didn't think that much of it in the beginning" and because I'll be in trouble if they find out he'll know.

"They can't find out you know", I begged him and eyes slightly turned away, his face looking like he was in deep thoughts. I really need him to understand me, if he loses his shit then it's over...

He suddenly softly nodded his head before he turned back to me with a sad smile "So we have to play along until we have proof to catch the fucker?"

I quickly nodded to his question and he leaned forward, his forehead resting against mine.

"You know that probably means we'll have to break up for the public, right?" his question made me raise a brow as I tried hard not to smile.

"Break up? So that means we're together?" he rolled his eyes but I saw the faint present of his smile "Shut up, just make it believable when it happens and..."

His eyes suddenly looked uncomfortable as he seemed to struggle with his words again.

My hand slowly went up to rest in his hair, my fingers slowly running through his soft locks "And what?"

He exhaled deeply, his eyes turning vulnerable before his voice came out like nothing more than a whisper "And don't break my heart too much"

Well fuck, why did he have to say that... I couldn't get myself to look away from his gaze as a lone tear escaped my eye "I don't want to do this"

His eyes remained sad but the corners of his mouth turned up slightly "Me neither but you're the only one I would willingly allow to break my heart"

He really took my breath away again and he chuckled as he watched me stand there absolutely frozen.

"Come here, princess", he gently pulled me into his chest and we both talked some more, not letting go of each other for a single moment.

"No more lies" That was the promise we made. I still couldn't tell him about the adoption, I didn't want to ruin the image he had about his dad. I had to lie about it for now...