Chapter 48

"So you've got no suspicions whatsoever?" Oliver asked me as we stood by my locker, putting away my stuff. I had overslept this morning and Oliver skipped the first half so he gave me a ride to school. Student were being extra loud again today as they streamed through the hallway for their lunch but that could just be the headache from the wine.

I focused back on Oliver and sighed "No, all I know is that they know about Sophia's secret and I don't even know how they got that information on Daniel"

"Most of our close friends knew about Sophia so that doesn't really tell us much", he commented and I nodded in agreement. We were nowhere, literally...

"We can try and lure them out with something", Oliver started "You know, make up some false information and leave it somewhere for them to find"

I nodded as I thought about it "And make sure we catch them when they do"

"Exactly", he said, looking a little too proud and I chuckled "Yeah yeah, you're a genius"

"Glad someone finally noticed", he winked and I shook my head before my eyes focused on Sophia behind him as she came our way. A frown instantly came to my face as I noticed the tears on her face.

"What's going on?" Oliver asked the question.

"It wasn't you guys, right?" Oliver and I switched a confused look before I turned back to Sophia "What do you mean?"

"You didn't spread the rumour about my dad, right?" she said while sobbing and my mouth fell slightly open.

He didn't...

Fuck

"Of course not", Oliver was first to answer and she turned to me with big eyes "I would never"

She gave me a sad nod before she looked at her phone in her hand and I felt horrible. This is all my fault.

"I'm so sorry, sweetheart", Oliver made a move to hug her but she surprised us both as she stepped back.

"What?" Oliver asked and her lip trembled as her gaze switched between him and I

"Why is this telling me to ask why you were at Ella's yesterday", she held up her phone, a text from an unknown number. Shit...

"Sophia, it was noth-", Oliver got interrupted as Sophia clicked play on a recording that came with the message.

"Isn't Sophia here?" I heard Oliver voice and my eyes went wide as I heard the sentence I said next "No and she might come back later so we have to hurry, I don't want her to know about this"

He recorded us? How even?

She turned to us again with big eyes filled with tears and I finally realised what this must look like.

"Sophia", Oliver took a step towards her but she quickly took one back, holding her arm up "No, leave me alone. The both of you"

"Soph-", I tried but she turned her back to us, quickly walking away from us.

"Fuck", Oliver cursed and I quickly grabbed my phone as I felt it vibrate in my pocket.

-Are you ready to break up with him now? Or shall I let out about Rachel's brother being in jail? Or maybe drop the bomb of Jason and Ethan's relationship? I could always just go for Daniels family secret. Or maybe we need another more affective approach? - unknown

No...

I wasn't sure of how far he was willing to go but I knew it was far and I'm not risking that.

It's finally coming to it...

I wanted nothing more than to cry and the ground to swallow me whole but I knew I couldn't, not now.