Chapter 53

Monday had come too quick again but this week, I dreaded going even more than before and that says a lot.

We had made up a plan to try and catch the insider but for it to work, everything had to go as planned. I knew the insider was going to be watching me so I had to trust my partner to do most of the work. Oliver told me multiple times it would work but I had my doubts.

I lifted my gaze up and slowly went over all my friends all they happily smiled with each other, knowing one of them is doing nothing but faking our friendship. All of them were here, all of them except for Oliver, Matthew and Daniel. I hadn't seen Daniel since the weekend and even though I knew it was for the best, it made my heart feel empty.

"Ella?" Sophia looked at me with a raised brow, the boys having a talk of their own, and I quickly focused myself back on the conversation "Sorry, what did you say?"

"We were asking about first crushes when we first came to this school", she said and my thoughts slowly drifted back to my very first school day. The day I first saw all of them, saw him.

"Daniel", I answered truthfully, a soft smile on my face as I thought back at the memory. I can't deny it, I had been drooling over him from the beginning and even though he was a complete asshole, something about him had always attracted me.

Sophia smiled sadly at me before turning to Rachel "How about you?"

She smirked at her friend and Rachel chuckled as she rolled her eyes "As if you don't know"

She looked away from Sophia and turned to us with the big smile still on her face "Liam, don't think I need to explain that one"

Nope, not at all.

"Ashley, what about you?" Rachel asked, wiggling her brows and Sarah started laughing "I think everybody knows that one"

"Who?" I asked curiously and she shook her head at Sophia who opened her mouth regardless "Daniel, she had a crush on him for years"

"Shut up", Ashley threw her a glare and turned to me with a slight panicked expression.

"Ashley seriously, I'm not blaming you for that. I didn't even know you guys back then", that seemed to relax her as she quickly threw me a smile.

"And how about you?" Sarah looked at Sophia, a sheepish smile on her face. She stayed quiet for a few seconds but sighed as all of us patiently stared at her.

"Fine, Jason", she crossed her arms over her chest and I couldn't help but laugh "Really?"

"I don't know, he had that whole bad boy vibe and I was young so shut up", she spoke with a pout, the rest of the girls now laughing as well. Really hadn't seen that one coming.

"You're not allowed to laugh", Sophia turned with a glare to Sarah who held her hands up, desperately trying to hide her smile "Sorry, I don't crush that easily"

"Not fair", Sophia muttered under her breath but my laughter quickly died as I found Oliver walking into the cafeteria and my heart started beating like crazy. Show time...

"Ella", he called out for me and I gave him a confused look, most of the table throwing him a quick look before turning back to their conversation. I knew the insider was going to continue listening in though, they would if they were smart.

He crouched down next to me and spoke low, but still loud enough for the rest to hear "The notebook about"

He quickly threw a few glances around the table before turning back to me "About you know who, where is it?"

I quickly gave him a smile, hoping our little act was being convincing enough and spoke quietly but still loud enough to hear for the others "It's in my bag, don't worry"

"And where is your bag?" Oliver looked around me and I leaned to his ear, whispering "Classroom"

I could whisper that last part, I knew most of them knew I had a habit of forgetting my bag in the classroom.

"Alright", he sighed and walked around the table, taking a seat next to Sophia who quickly pressed a kiss to his cheek. Like planned, he turned his body completely towards her, whispering things to her and pretended to zone out everyone else around them.

Now for part two, I quickly took my phone out and typed in a message.

-Hey Michelle, can you call me for a second-

That way I could leave the table and the insider could go get the book without raising any suspicions. At least that's what we were counting on.

A few seconds later my phone started ringing and I quickly answered "Hey Michelle"

A few heads turned my way and I got up from my seat, throwing them a quick smile "Be back in a bit"

"What's up Ella", Michelle's voice sounded as I walked out of the cafeteria and leaned myself against some lockers in the hallway.

"It's nothing, can I call you back later?" my reply made her chuckle "Sure weirdo"

"Bye", I said and quickly ended the call but kept the phone pressed to my ear.

Now we just had to wait and hope they dare to go out. Oliver said he would make sure it looked like his eyes were solely focused on Sophia, I sat in the hallway away from the cafeteria and no one else on the table would find them leaving suspicious. The situation would be safe enough for them to go get the book and when they did, we were prepared.

I waited until the first bell rang and quickly put my phone in my pocket, making my way to the classroom. I had ten minutes before classes would start again.

Entering the classroom, relieve flooded me when I saw my bag laying on the desk, opened.

Yes, fuck yes it worked.

Stepping over, I checked and the notebook was indeed gone. My eyes darted to Oliver's conveniently placed phone that I knew was recording and a smile quickly came to my face. My partner thought it was a good backup plan and he couldn't have been more right.

"Well, that was a waist", I turned around as Oliver entered the classroom and my brow scrunched together "What do you mean?"

His eyes darted to my back and slightly widened. He took quick strides and took the back from my hands, searching it chaotically.

"What are you doing?" I asked and confusion came to his face before he made eye contact with me again "Nobody left the table"

What? How is that possible?

"But the book is gone", I spoke, my statement sounding more like a question and Oliver walked over to grab his phone.

"We might still know who it is", he said and ended the recording before going to his camera roll. He pressed play and I nervously clutched my hands together as we looked at the video. It started by the camera being put hidden in the corner and set up, followed by the door closing. This is it...

Minutes passed and I felt my heart beat out of my chest when the door softly opened. A person stepped into the room and my mouth fell slightly open.

"That's not possible"