Chapter 1: A tryst with Poison

Finally, after six long months of trying and failing, at last I learnt how to ride my broom, I'm so happy right now. I'm slowly getting closer to my goal of becoming a witch just like Chariot. Making everyone laugh and smile, making them wonder and giving them dreams, that's what I wanna do. With that being said, I can't be late for my first class of the day though, which is magic law taught by Ms Lukic. I just hope Lotte and Sucy saved me a seat. As I got nearer to the entrance of the academy, I got off of my broom and made my way towards class.

The corridors were busy with students bustling around going to their respective classes or chatting away without any care in the world. Looking around, I felt pretty happy and I knew this is the place where I belong. As I entered my class, a sweet voice called out to me. "Hey Akko, over here!" The owner of the sweet voice was a short, orange haired girl with glasses, Lotte, my roommate as well as my best friend. Sitting next to her was a tall, lavender haired girl with only one eye visible, the other hidden behind her bangs was Sucy, my second roommate and best friend. They were sitting in the third row, in the middle of the class. I waved at them as I made my way towards their seat. "Hey guys, thanks for saving me a seat," I said as I sat next to Sucy. "No problem, so how was your day one of early morning practise session??" "It was fine, you guys should definitely join me for my next round." "Sure." "But I feel so sleepy right now." "You woke up at five, no wonder you're sleepy," said Lotte. "You can go to sleep, you know. It would help me with my new experiment." "Sucy I've told you like a million times, stop using me as your guinea pig." "And I've ignored your words like a million times," she cackled hysterically. I hate it when she does that, always using me for her experiments. But still I love her as well as Lotte, they both mean the world to me. After class got over, we headed to the cafeteria and met up with Amanda's gang.

"Hey Amanda, Jasminka, Constanze how's it going?" "Hey guys sup?" Each of us took a seat around a table nearest to the windows. "So what's new?" Asked Amanda. "Nothing much, Lottle just finished her 365th novel of Nightfall, Sucy's done with a new experiment and I started going for early morning broom flying practice." "Nice looks like you're all busy. Well me and my girls will be sneaking out tonight to go to a party, wanna come?" I looked over at Sucy and Lotte, both of them giving me their nod of approval. "Aight, be ready by six." After that, normal conversation took place and pretty soon school got over.

After reaching our dorm room, I stretched myself fully out on my bed. "Hey Akko could you come here for a second," said Sucy from her desk. I got up and went over to her. She was playing with a vial containing some kind of a blue liquid. "What is that??" "This is my latest experiment. Come on now, try it out." "Sucyyyy," I sighed and took the vial from her. I examined it and shook it's contents. Then I pulled out the cork and drank half of it. After that I put the cork back and gave it to Sucy who was already holding a clipboard. "When did you get that!!" I exclaimed. Pretty soon I could feel the effects of the liquid inside of me. My head suddenly started to throb and I found myself having a slight difficulty in breathing. "Ugh...Sucy m-my head, it's hurting. It's throbbing so much, that it's painful." "Hmm good, anything else?" "I'm having difficulty in breathing." "Wonderful." "What's so wonderful about that!!" I went over to my bed ever so slowly and curled up into a ball, still clutching my head in my hands. "Well looks like the poison I gave you worked pretty well." "The what?!!" "It's a new kind of poison which strikes the brain first, then your heart and finally it kills you ever so slowly." "The hell?!!" "I'm just messing with ya. This serum will increase your brain power, say by 2% for a single day. So you'll be smart Akko for one whole day, starting now." "And what about the pain?" "Oh that'll slowly fade away. Just go to sleep, you'll be fine in the evening." I closed my eyes and pretty soon drifted off to sleep. "Will she be okay?" Asked Lotte. "Yeah she'll be fine by evening." She went over to her desk and placed her clipboard on it which had the words 'EXPERIMENT SUCCESS' written in bold handwriting across the page with wierd symbols on it. Looking at the glass vial on her desk she chuckled to herself.