Chapter 4: The cursed doll

"The seven mysteries of Luna Nova?" Asked Lotte. "Yeah and it's still supposed to be unsolved," I said excitedly. "Well I did hear something like that a while back, but I never looked into it myself," said Diana. "Akko! This is our time to shine. We're not just some troublemakers, we are going to solve all those mysteries and become famous!" Exclaimed Amanda. "What is the first one?" Asked Sucy. "The first one is about a supposedly cursed doll that wanders the courtyard at exactly 3:03 a.m on the third day of the week and anyone who happens to see it by chance has the worst luck for three whole months," said I. "Third day of the week, a Wednesday then??" Said Diana. "Alright!! Akko we'll catch the doll and show her to the entire school," said Amanda excitedly. "Are you sure about this guys??" Asked Lotte. "Don't worry Lotte, after all we do have a specialist with us," I said while looking at Sucy. Everyone followed my gaze while Sucy just sipped on her juice. "Well we'll just see what you're doing, since I am the student's representative. I cannot participate in what you two are doing, so try not to fall into too much trouble," said Diana. Amanda split us up into groups and gave us our orders. Constanze, Jasminka and Lotte were in charge of the trap and were also supposed to be on lookout duty while Amanda, Sucy and I were to subdue the doll once it was trapped in Constanze's trap.

All of us waited patiently for Tuesday to arrive. On Tuesday evening, after lights out, six figures crept quietly towards the courtyard of the academy. While Constanze and Jasminka were setting up the trap, Lotte was on lookout duty hiding on top of the statue in the center of the courtyard. Amanda was hiding behind a pillar on the right side of the courtyard while Sucy and I were on the left side. Everyone was silently waiting for the doll, observing from their designated places.

Suddenly I felt someone's hand on my shoulder and turning around I found Sucy signalling me to keep quiet. I was about to ask her what was wrong, when she leaned in and whispered in my ear. I looked at her and slowly took off my jacket, giving it to her. She took it and nodded a thanks. Why do I feel this weird sensation in my stomach I thought as I glanced towards Lotte noticing her hand signals saying all was clear.

At around 3, we all heard someone approaching the courtyard. At once, Constanze's trap clicked and it seemed to have caught something. We raced towards it, our wands ready but what we found wasn't a cursed doll rather it was a somewhat agitated looking principal. "Ms Holbrooke what are you doing here?" I asked her as Jasminka got her down from the trap. "I should be asking you girls that question. What on earth are you all doing here?" "We're looking for the cursed doll," replied Amanda. "The cursed doll?" "Yeah she comes out every Wednesday at 3:03 a.m." Ms Holbrooke suddenly burst into laughter which made us wonder why. "Oh my, well you girls got it all wrong. There is no cursed doll at this school." "Then what about the mystery??" "Ah well that's something hard to explain." She then took us to the statue and with a wave of her wand, a secret hole opened up and inside were some hidden sweets and other delicacies. "This is where I hide my assortment of wierd food and some other items which I use to make potions. That rumor must've started when a student saw me here." "Oh man then there's no such cursed doll?" Asked Amanda. "None but there is a punishment waiting for you girls as for going out at night rather than sleeping in your dorms, you are to do the dishes for two weeks after all the meals." Everyone sighed but knew better than to negotiate. And so all of us made our way back to our dorm rooms for the night.