sixteen

the loud chattering in the rowdy dining room was interrupted by a male teacher known as mister  park who cleared his throat. one by one students lowered their volume and payed attention to the statement that was about to be made. 

"do i have your attention?" mister park asked when the room finally fell in a complete state of silence. with a satisfied grin he looked over all the faces of the students that were attentively pointing at him. "i think i'm making nearly all of you very happy with this statement.." he spoke, making a pause on purpose to give more strength to his words, "..there aren't any more activities planned for tonight." 

delighted sighs and yells of relieve filled the room, the indistinct chattering rising up again as everyone was making plans on how to spend their evenings. 

"however.." mister park added, instantly tensing the mood up again when the students realized their plans might go to waste if he continued now, "me and the other teachers are lighting the two grand campfires at the fields after ten. everyone who wants to come is free to join!"

even when most of the students went back to discussing their own activities, mister park managed to keep his overjoyed countenance, seemingly happy at the delusion of everyone sitting around the campfire, him leading the group by strumming a soft melody on his acoustic guitar while everyone surrounding him would sing along. 

if he only knew that no actual student was planning on joining him and his colleagues.

mister park sat back in his seat at the table occupied with teachers and supervisors, continuing the conversation he was having before the announcement just like everyone else in the room. 

"we should go tonight, don't you think?" chan spoke up, making everyone around the rounded table give him a look of disbelieve. it was only half of the group who occupied his table, when the other half sat on the table next to them. but even the other half seemed to notice chan's words, crowning him as the centre of attention. 

jeonghan was the first who dared to make a comment about it. "and since when do you voluntarily want to join an activity we're not obligated to do?" 

eleven of the remaining thirteen teens held their breath anxiously after jeonghan's risky words, expecting chan to awfully dislike his choice of words and pick a fight on his elder. however, this was not the case as he remained calm and curled the corners of his lips up. 

"since i have the feeling that no one actually will attend the campfire beside the teachers? come on it'll be fun! knowing them they probably have marshmallows and hot chocolate to make the atmosphere even more cheesy. it's really like them to make it the perfect camping trip!" chan explained in full enthusiasm, confusing his group even more as to why his behavior suddenly changed so drastically. 

first mingyu who was actually nice to everyone around him and now chan as well. 

"i agree with chan. i mean, who says no to roasted marshmallow and hot chocolate." seokmin agreed without further hesitation, nibbling on a vegetable he was holding up against his lips with his fork. 

"if they actually have the requirements with them because chan just made an assumption." seungkwan warned them, not being sure about this whole idea as he still preferred to be safely inside their cabin after sunset. 

"i saw them packing several plastic bags full of marshmallows and packs of hot chocolate when we left off! and if i'm not mistaken i heard mister lee talking about it as well in the hallway the day before we left!" seungcheol stated, taking responsibility as the eldest, "i think we should go. what's the harm to spend at most an hour around a campfire?"

"i agree with seungcheol and chan! and besides, the atmosphere is way more cozy in the dark, especially next to a campfire." mingyu joined in, secretly throwing a glance at wonwoo next to him, knowing how much wonwoo himself used to romanticize a lot of things. this might be his chance to shoot his shot..

"let's vote! if the major of us votes to go we attend the campfire tonight!" chan proposed, raising his hand as a sign that he was in. one by one, twelve other hands raised in the air, some of them hesitantly while others threw their arms up with no doubt. 

as chan noticed wonwoo visibly delayed raising his hand, he pointed at him, trying to get him to speak up as wonwoo was known as a rather unsocial in their group. "you. wonwoo." 

all eyes pointed at the boy whose name got said and he felt heat creeping up to his cheeks, widening his eyes in confusion as to why he was being called out. "me?" he said, unsure why everyone was looking at him. 

"you're the one with the final word! are we going tonight or not?" chan concluded, giving wonwoo the opportunity to make the decision for everyone else. 

wonwoo on the other hand, anxiously looked from face to face who all gave him hopeful glances, making him gulp at the sudden load of attention. but when he felt a familiar hand on his waist, caressing his skin that got covered by his t-shirt with his thumb, he felt a sudden rush of confidence rising up in his chest. thank you mingyu

"i guess. sounds like a plan to me." it made him feel even more confident when the twelve boys started cheering, knowing that he was the one that made them this jovial. 

"thank you wonwoo!" chan chirped out in pure happiness, raising his hand to wonwoo who slightly flinched when he saw a hand coming near him. until he realized.. chan was going in for a high five. 

the small boy leaned all the way over the table with the brightest smile on his face.. to give him a high five? this wasn't happening. awkwardly he raised his own hand as well, completing the gesture before chan returned to his half emptied plate of food, talking about how much fun they were going to have that night, leaving wonwoo behind in some sort of trance. 

his hand felt tingly after another hand was being smacked against it and he couldn't stop a smile from creeping up his face. and finally, he was able to let his feelings out in front of others. or more specifically, in front of kim mingyu, who had been staring proudly at him the entire time. 

"i.. i high fived someone.." wonwoo whispered, barely audible for mingyu to hear as he held onto his own wrist, a feeling of euphoria rising up in his chest as he looked up to mingyu who shared the same feeling as him. 

"yes you did! look at you!" and without waiting any longer mingyu surprised wonwoo in a sudden short hug, "god, i'm proud of you wonwoo." he whispered before letting go and casually returning to his dinner again, leaving an all fuzzy and glowing wonwoo behind.

it was for the first time wonwoo couldn't stop smiling in the company of others.