thirty six

the corridors of the chaotic hospital slowly started running empty. the doctors finally ran out of injured students, them going through the long hours of surgery now.

the group of boys we've been following throughout this book had been placed in a separate lobby, where they promised to stay until more news about chan and mingyu was available. silence filled the atmosphere, sometimes interrupted by indistinct chattering and the clock ticking away the nervous wrecking seconds..

three am went by in full silence.

four am passed with gentle sobs.

and it didn't take long before it was even nearing five.

jisoo and seokmin had decided to go home in the meanwhile, just like all worried parents that showed up for their child, who went back home as they understood the boys decision to stay for mingyu and chan. no matter how traumatized they were, they couldn't bring themselves to leave the terrible place.

seungcheol got up for the nth time that night, walking over to the receptionist to ask if there were any updates on chan and mingyu. and eventually, he started getting used to the disappointing answer he'd gotten over and over again. they couldn't do anything but to patiently wait.

"i'm going to the toilet for a second." soonyoung excused himself, not waiting for a reply as he got up from the green plastic seat and followed the instructions on the information boards that eventually led him to a toilet.

he opened the door that led him to a small room with flickering lights. however, he didn't even take the effort to get in one of the available stalls. instead, he walked over to the sink as he leaned on it with both hands, having a hard time to keep standing on his legs. even now they were in safety, he still didn't manage to get his heartbeat under control even the slightest.

with tears brimming in the corners of his eyes soonyoung looked up to his reflection in the mirror. from his bright colored hair, to his deep almond eyes, even his fluffy cheeks included and his bright red plump lips that were trembling.

he couldn't suppress a sob from leaving his throat, losing control over his emotions as tears flooded down his cheeks again. the horrifying images of the things he'd seen just a few hours ago flashed through his mind, blurring his vision and making his breathing pattern unsteady.

and just when things were about to get worse, the door of the hospital's public toilet opened soundless. "soonyoung?" the boy who revealed himself in the doorframe spoke, catching soonyoung's attention by simply calling out his name.

the boy's head shot up as he glanced over at the smaller male, trying to get a hold of himself. "h-hey jihoon. i- i'm sorry you had to see that.." he tried to display his usual cheeky grin, which only turned out to be a sad smile that went followed by him gasping for more oxygen before he ended up silently sobbing again.

"come here." jihoon slid down to the floor with his back against the wall, opening his arms and offering soonyoung the warmth and safety he needed. and soonyoung couldn't do anything else but to give in, allowing himself to be captured by jihoon's small yet loving arms. "hey i know now is not the best time to ask you this, but where were your parents earlier?"

his question got followed by a series of sniffles before soonyoung was ready to give a proper answer. "i haven't seen them in years." he silently admitted, resting his forehead against jihoon's cheek, making himself smaller to fit his entire body against the boy who held him. "do you.. maybe want to talk about it?" jihoon offered, finding it hard to find the right words to use, since he still wasn't a big talker after all.

"it's nothing special. i came out for liking boys on my sixteenth and with them being pretty homophobic they said they didn't want to see me ever again. and, you know, since i kinda saw it coming i saved up money and bought a prett decent apartment. working three jobs pays pretty well." soonyoung took a deep breath, taking in the scent that lingered on jihoon's body. "ah what am i complaining about, your parents weren't here as well."

"that's because they're on a business trip coincidentally. they called me the moment they heard about it from the hospital." jihoon explained, gently rubbing circles on soonyoung's exposed arm that had goosebumps from the cold atmosphere that hung around the hospital. "i can call them back if you feel like talking to a parent. i'm sure both my mom and dad would love you."

"that's really sweet of you, but i prefer to be with you right now." soonyoung couldn't face the overwhelming feeling of having a parental figure yet, especially not with how he was feeling. "i feel tired." he sniffled, the horrifying views he got when closing his eyes now momentarily disappeared as he was together with jihoon, who appeared to lessen the feelings of fear and horror.

"how about we go somewhere else than here? i think it's best if we both stop facing what happened, which is quite impossible if we stay in this place." jihoon offered, making soonyoung nod weakly. "my studio is just a few blocks away from here. it's pretty cozy if i say so myself, and i keep a mattress there for occasions like this. we can clean ourselves up in the morning at mine or your place?"

"sounds fine with me." soonyoung breathed out, finally being able to bring up the slightest trace of a smile. he moved away from his position but unconsciously stayed close to jihoon's face, too tired to realize he shamelessly let his eyes wander over all his beautifully formed features.

his sharp cat-like eyes, his pink plump lips that puffed cute underneath his beautifully carved nose, his rather round face and his blonde silky soft hair. after everything that had happened that night and his body feeling numb, soonyoung couldn't help but to feel eager for his lips. just the slightest touch would be enough..

and to his surprise, it was jihoon who took the risk and leaned in completely, stealing away a kiss just like that. even if it wasn't much more than their lips being pressed against each other, soonyoung felt satisfied. as if it tried to say that the nightmare they had endured through the night had now ended, jihoon would take him to a better place.

a kiss full of hurt feelings, reassurement and comfort, even if it was just a fair touch.

it was also jihoon who slowly pulled back, leaving a little space in-between them in case soonyoung wished to come back for more. the bright-haired boy rested his forehead against jihoon's, keeping his eyes closed to stay in the moment just a little longer.

"thank you." he whispered weakly, his tears of pain fading away as they made place for the smallest smile.

and jihoon knew, this traumatizing night might've led up to a beginning to the rest of his life.

their life.