thirty one

he fell right in front of wonwoo's eyes, dragging him along till both their bodies collided to the floor, footsteps of the shooter nearing them.

"mingyu? mingyu what's wrong?" wonwoo choked out once he got back to sense, tugging on mingyu's shoulders who lay on his side, crying for an unknown reason.

his cries pierced through the darkness of the night, echoing for at least a mile through the forest. wonwoo couldn't find out what caused mingyu's hysterical reaction, figuring he'd never seen the boy acting like this before. until he moved his body in an angle that made a stroke of yellow moonlight slip past him, landing precisely on mingyu's back.

wonwoo gasped loudly when he saw red liquid flowing out of a large wound a little down his shoulder blade, the gaping hole as big as the bullet that must have hit him.

but once again, he heard footsteps coming near them.. so as carefully as he could he pressed his body against mingyu's, clasping a hand over his mouth to muffle his hysterical screams of pain to silence him at least somehow. "mingyu, i'm so sorry... but please be silent now.."

tears left through the corners of wonwoo's eyes when he imagined the immense pain mingyu had to be in right now. however, he noticed how mingyu's volume lowered and eventually even silenced completely. but despite mingyu being noiseless, the footsteps were still coming closer, making it only a matter of time before wonwoo would get shot too.

but they couldn't do anything more than to wait. letting the painfully slow seconds pass while they were lying in a mass of dead leaves and dirt, their bodies scratches from running through branches while silent sobs left both their mouths.

except of the footsteps, the forest was entirely silent, filled with students who were quiet as they awaited their horrifying fate. a silence so overwhelming yet so frighting. and for the first time in his life, wonwoo wished for more sound.

he regretted all those times he got annoyed by the trio's obnoxiously loud voices once they entered class. or when the volume in their cabin raised to a level where he felt like going outside. or even when mingyu spoke to him, which he rather avoided at first.

he wished he could hear all of that once more before he would get shot merciless.

however, their silence appeared to mislead the shooter, whose footsteps faded away and mixed together with the utter silence that hung around them. wonwoo was fast to release his grip over mingyu's mouth, which was now dripping from his drool combined with the salty substance of his tears.

"i'm so sorry.. i'm so sorry mingyu." wonwoo choked out, seeing the state mingyu was in.

to his surprise, mingyu's volume managed to stay quite low, nothing more than soundless sobs that left his throat. his entire body was quivering when he pushed himself up to sit next to wonwoo, who tried to help him get through every movement.

"it hurts.." mingyu cried out, giving everything he got to keep his volume low.

"i'm so sorry.." wonwoo choked out yet again, supporting mingyu by wrapping an arm around his shoulder to get him back on his feet "listen to me, we need to get closer to the open spot or at least the edge of the forest. if help arrives you'll be able to get into an ambulance faster than when we stay here."

and your chances of survival might be bigger as well. but for mingyu's own good, wonwoo decided to leave the words unspoken. the boy had such a big burden to carry already.