five

Hogwarts was eerily quite tonight, the sky was clouded as if troubled by something and the walls of the castle were icy to touch. 

Leo had his hands pressed against the coldness and his breath was coming out in short, foggy puffs as he attempted to keep quite. Ginny was just round the corner moving her hand slowly and mindlessly as she wrote words upon the wall. 

She had told him to meet her in this corridor earlier in the day. She looked extremely worried and sounded as if she wanted to tell him something very important so of course Leo had agreed, she was his best friend after all meaning she held priority over some stupid curfew. He had expected that she might finally tell him about her book or who this supposed Tom was. 

He didn't expect her to be the one who had written the messages on the wall. How could he of ever seen that coming? Innocent, sweet Ginny who wouldn't hurt a fly, who was just as scared as everyone else when each person became petrified. 

Leo couldn't move, his mind was running rampant as he desperately grasped at strands of thought. Why would Ginny do this? How? He thought back to her protectiveness over the book, her confusion, her blank expressions, the fear in her eyes, the name...

His eyes widened. What if someone was making her do this? The thought of her being controlled struck fear and angry through Leo like a bolt of lightning. Is this who Tom Marvolo Riddle was? 

Footsteps sounded as Ginny began to walk away from her finished messaged. She walked unevenly, tilting to the side and placing an uneasy hand against the wall as she swayed uncertainly. 

Leo knew he shouldn't disturb her state. If he was right and she was being controlled he could be throwing himself into a dangerous path. Ginny could unintentionally hurt him and he knew how guilty that would make her. He also had no time to get anyone. He would loose sight of Ginny and maybe even loose her for good, he wasn't going to take such a risk. His best bet was to follow her. He might not be able to help her once she reached her destination but at least he could try and at least she wouldn't be alone. 

He crept after her. She was now walking straight and tall with an air of authority that was unnatural on the small girl. 

He followed her all the way to the girl's bathroom where she began to speak in a language Leo couldn't even begin to comprehend. Her voice was croaky and she sounded as if she was hissing. 

Then, all of a sudden, one of the taps glowed a bright light and started spinning before the sink, along with the tap, disappeared into the floor. Leo gaped at it, was this the entrance to the Chamber of Secrets?  

His question was answered when Ginny jumped into the pipe that had been revealed. He gasped and ran forward with his hands outstretched as if to grab her but it was too late. 

Leo was terrified as he gazed down the pipe, it was dark and unexplored. Anything could be down there. His Mum would have a heart attack if she knew what he was about to do, Leo just hoped he would be able to see her again soon. But, as always, Ginny was his top priority. 

He jumped in after her. 

The pipe was long, dark, and it spit Leo out onto a pile of bones. Leo scrambled up with a small cry. He frantically searched for his wand and when he found it he muttered "Lumos" in relief as the end lit up with soothing light. 

He could no longer see Ginny which caused him to panic. What if he had waited too long to jump down? 

A small sound echoed down the pipes causing Leo to shoot up. It had to be Ginny. He ran as fast as he could through an entrance in the wall. He didn't stop running as he reached the chamber or as stone pillars and carvings of snakes surrounded him. 

He then saw Ginny crying into her hands as she sat in a puddle of water. 

"Ginny!" He cried. Her head shot up and she looked so painfully terrified. 

"Leo," She sobbed as he fell next to her and wrapped her into a hug. "You shouldn't of come." She kept choking out as he rubbed her back comfortingly. 

"Well isn't this nice." A voice sounded mockingly from behind them. Ginny gasped and started crying harder. 

Leo turned to look at the figure but, before he could, the world went black.

 The last thing he saw was a dark silhouette laughing at Ginny's scream.