Imagine #2: Christmas Past {Derek}

I'm going to be writing these personal imagines in first person. The scenarios will still be in 2nd person

------

I had dated Derek Hough for 2 years. It was love at first sight when we first met summer of 2011 when I was becoming a troupe dancer, but everything just fell apart. It wasn't really anyone's fault, but the fans wanting him and Shawn together kind of broke apart our relationship. Though the fans were apart of the break-up, it was understandable, for Derek and I weren't too public to the media.

On Christmas Eve, I expect to just watch movies all night but I get a mass text from Derek.

Head down to the ballroom around 9:30pm for a cast Christmas party.

I contemplate on whether to go, but figure I might as well.

I look through my closet and pick out a short dress, throw on a little makeup, grab my small black bag, and slip on my silver heels before heading out the door.

I arrive at the studio and see almost no one there. I walk in and see no one but Derek. He turns around at the sound of the door closing.

"(y/n).. hey." He greets.

He's wearing a white button down and a black blazers paired with a dark wash pair of jeans.

"Hi Derek." I respond, attempting to make small talk.

"You look.. beautiful." He risks.

"Thanks." I awkwardly reply.

"Y-you're early. It's only 9. The party starts in half an hour." He says.

"Oh, I guess I read the text wrong." I genuinely feel embarrassed, hoping he doesn't think I showed up for him. "But since I'm here, do you need any help?" I ask.

He looks around. "Uh yeah. Can you help pick out music." I agree to help as we look through his music on his phone.

We pick over 100 songs, before coming across "Just The Way You Are" by Bruno Mars.

He lets the song play for a short moment of time as he looks up and smiles.

"God, I remember listening to this so many times." He pauses, debating on whether to continue. "It was our song."

I look at him just as he looks at me.

"(y/n), tell me, why did we every break up? I know we both were in love, because even being professionals, I know neither of us are that good of an actor to fake that chemistry." He says.

I quickly glance down on the hand he has placed on mine before quickly glancing up again.

"I don't know..." I lie. "I guess.. I- I guess it's because I was worried."

"Why were you worried." He moves closer.

"We hadn't made our relationship very publicly known, and all of the fans wanted you and Shawn to date. I guess I just didn't want you to listen to the fans.. I didn't want to lose you, so I guess I thought letting go of you myself would be easier instead of you possibly realizing the fans were right." I admit, not wanting to exploit too much.

"I can't believe I never realized that you thought any of this. God, I feel like such a dick not realizing how you felt (y/n). I was your boyfriend, I should've seen this." He buries his face in his hands.

I place my hand on his shoulder.

"D..." I revert to the nickname I always called him when we were dating. "I don't know how you would be able to tell. I never said anything, and I think hiding my feelings was part of the reason why I let go. I guess I thought it'd be easier to let go, but it was still so hard. And it hurt me, to leave you in wonder, thinking that you did something wrong, when you didn't do anything wrong. D, you're the best boyfriend, I just.. I don't know I just wish I would've fought for you." I feel tears roll down my face.

"(y/n).." He catches my attention and I look up at him, tear stained.

He pulls me closer to him and kisses my forehead.

The rest of the cast begins to show up and Derek and distance ourselves a little, despite me wanting to be by his side all night. I expect to not be able to hang out with Derek until he approaches me.

"Hey, can I talk to you?" He asks.

"Yeah sure." I reply.

"Privately?" He adds.

"Oh right, yeah." I walk in tow of him to the backstage part of the ballroom.

Once we're backstage, Derek paces back and forth, his demeanor coming off nervous.

"D? You okay?" I ask, worried.

"Yeah uh.. I'm okay. I'm nervous." He replies.

"Why?" I question.

"Because, what I'm about to do could be the stupidest decision I've ever made in my life." He says.

"Wh-" Before I know it, he walks up to me, places his hands on my waist, and presses his lips to mine. Being startled, my hands lay against his chest.

"I've missed being with you, (y/n). You're right, I thought I did something wrong, when we broke up. But I wish you had told me what you said earlier, when we were together. Because I would've told you, the fans would not change my feelings about you, I have loved you when I met you. I loved you when we broke up, and I love you now. Over all those years, I haven't changed my mind about how I feel about you. And I don't plan on changing my mind, ever." He admits.

AI say nothing, as I comprehend everything he just said. Then as everything sinks in, I place my lips to his once more to confirm my feelings for him.

We walk out of the backstage area together. Right as we're about to walk out to the rest of the cast, Derek takes my hand in his.

I see some of the cast looking over at us. Peta, Sharna, and Allison smile in reassurance and happiness, them have knowing my feelings for quite awhile.

"Babe?" Derek cuts my attention off from the eyes staring at us. "Would you like to dance with me?"

I nod before replying, knowing this really going to confirm our relationship. "Yes, I'd love to."

He pulls me into his arms, his hands snaking around my waist as my arms wrap around the back of his neck, and resting my head on his shoulder.

I glance over at a clock hanging on the wall and see it's 12:07am on Christmas day. Derek must've seen too because he acknowledges it.

"Merry Christmas baby, I love you." He whispers.

"Merry Christmas. I love you too D." I push his hair back, doing nothing, as it places itself in it's previous state. "So, what do you want for Christmas?"

"You're my present. Best Christmas ever." He says before craning his neck down far enough so his lips will reach mine.