Part 56

Will POV:

I got a phone call from Jay. He still owes me $20.

Will: Jay, how are you doing?

Jay: Not good. It's Hailey.

Will: What's going on?

Jay: Well, she went in for a regular ultrasound and they said the babies had TTTS and needed surgery immediately.

Will: Oh Jay.

Jay: Yeah, it's bad.

Will: They might deliver one of the babies if not both tonight.

Jay: What? It's too early. She's only 24 weeks.

Will: Yeah, it is, but when it's TTTS, one of the babies could be in extreme critical condition where it's risky to leave them in there with the twin.

Jay: Geez, this was only supposed to be a regular check-up.

Will: That's how they catch it. There really aren't any signs and symptoms. I'm on my way now. I'll be there in about 10 minutes.

I hang up and arrive at the hospital. I meet Jay in Hailey's room. Jay is pacing around. I just missed Hailey going up for surgery.

Will: Jay, you have to calm down. This isn't good for you.

Jay: I know. It's just, I'm worried about everything.

Will: I know.

Jay: I didn't even tell Hailey. She would freak out more than she already has.

Will: Yeah. Usually, they don't tell the parents because it raises their heart rate in surgery.

Voight walks in with a woman. Were they on a date?

Voight: Jay.

Jay: Boss. They just took her up.

Voight: They will pull through.

Jay: I'm hoping.

Polina: I'm so sorry you guys are going through this.

Will: I'm going to go check on her.

I walk up to the OR. They have her down and they are just getting started. I watched. Every so often I would update Jay. About two hours into the surgery, Dr. Ridges is finished. They bring Hailey back to the room and Dr. Ridges explains what happened during the surgery.

Ridge: I was able to sever the vessels that were connected to the twins. But, she's going to have to be on strict bed rest. The twins are probably going to come soon. One of the twins is very anemic and one is polycythemia. Once they're born it's going to be a rough road ahead. Hailey did great in the surgery. She should wake up soon.

Jay: Thanks doctor.