~𝟙𝟘~

SMILE

The food arrived steaming. You ordered french toast with a side of crème brûlée. You've always had a big sweet tooth and starting off the day with sweets will always keep your mood stable. Leorio and Kurapika stuck to traditional eggs and bacon with a side of buttered toast. The waitress told us she will come soon with our drinks.

"[Y/N], how has the exam been so far?" Kurapika asks.

"It hasn't been much of a challenge so far. Perhaps the next phase will pose a fight." You reply.

Leorio bursts while chewing his food, "Mm.. speaking of fighting, what did you tell Chairman Netero?"

"I'm keeping a close eye on number 44 and I least want to fight Gon and Killua."

Kurapika looks you in the eye, realizing what that meant. You told Netero that you didn't want to fight the boys but these two still haven't won your heart, yet. They have yet to satisfy what you need to know on how worthy they are to live on. Kurapika's sole purpose is to avenge his clan. He's here to become a blacklist hunter in order to track the criminals who wiped out the Kurta clan. It's brutal but not so far from what you did. He has found his reasons for being a pro hunter like most. You decide to keep your massacre to yourself since you continue to strive for your need to see blood.

Kurapika begins, "I refuse to fight you both including Gon and Killua. You've provided support on my end and I will repay you for your assistance."

"Even if I didn't include you two doesn't mean you're dead meat. We're here for a reason, right?" You continue.

"I see..." He ponders.

Your bloodlust is something to always hint at. Whether it's relevant to the conversation or not, it's important to mention. It transfers fear through the people and it's funny to see their reactions. But they shouldn't worry about you.

"I have my eyes only on number 44. Consider it as respect for you both." You include, making sure they understand. Their faces sculpted grins.

"That's some twisted respect but I'll take it!" Leorio shouts.

You chuckle at his comment. Maybe you are twisted. It's complicated but you're beginning to understand what it means to even have respect. The drinks the three of you ordered arrived, all hot drinks. You lean your elbows on the table and sip on your mug. The sweetness of your coffee gives you a smile. There was a sudden light change in the atmosphere. They're up early.

Gon approaches the booth, "Leorio! Kurapika! Oh... and you're with [Y/N]!"

"Hey." You say. Killua looks at you and loosens his shoulders. You scoot over to give room for the two boys. Leorio and Kurapika surely prefer their personal space. Either way they're kids, they take up less space. For another hour, you continue to speak with your friends. They mention their experiences, crack jokes, and express their fears. You learn about Leorio's purpose on taking the exam and becoming a doctor. His skills have shown he's capable of being a great doctor some day. They've portrayed such potential since the first day. Not only did they invite you in but they accepted you knowing how you see everyone as a threat. Perhaps the older boys understand rather than the younger ones.

Come to think of it, Killua was the only one who truly knows about your bloodlust. Gon got some hints but not enough as to what Killua knows. The conversation took a turn when Killua asked you the infamous question:

"Say [Y/N], didn't you say the other day that you know what it means to kill?"

You take a few seconds to cook up a response.