Chapter 4

The next few days were a blur. Sam was too tired to keep in check the days Kris did or didn't talk to him. He felt a little lost, like the progress they'd made had helped but also made it worse.
On better days, Kris would brightly go up to Sam and talk with him, occasionally making plans for the distant future. Other days, he wouldn't say a word, though perhaps stare at him during gym. What did that mean? Sam thought perhaps Kris was trying to maintain distance, but failing. None the less, he relaxed and paid Kris no mind.
One day, as he was walking to his car, a brightly dressed girl came up to Sam. She was pretty, and as he looked into her face he realized this was Kris' girlfriend. He tried without success to not analyze her, and compare her to himself. There was no comparison, obviously. She jogged over, holding her books and smiled at him.
"Hey," she said, trying to be light.
"Hi?" Sam was confused. Had Kris told her what had happened a few weeks before?
"So you're Kris' friend, right?" She asked the question as though she already knew. Sam smiled. Maybe he had told her about him.
"Yes."
"Perfect! You guys are close?"
"I guess so." More than she thought.
"Okay, so next week is Kris' birthday. He doesn't usually do anything but he's turning 17 so we have to do something! And I've already invited a few of his friends; he never wants it to be big. So can you come?" She said this in one rush, and it was easy to get lost in her babbles.
"Um." Sam said, though he knew the answer. Would Kris like it though? "Sure, what day is it?"
"October 3. I'll text you the address. You'll also have to help set up a little bit."
"Great." I smiled. Truthfully, I was thankful that I could go, just to see Kris and talk to him at another place besides school.
The next week was just Sam stressing about what Kris would think of him there, his outfit, and the present. He wasn't sure what to buy, but didn't want to show up empty-handed. He settled on a simple gold chain, and then worried some more when he thought it looked too expensive. Too late.
It was the day before and Sam was excited. He marched downstairs to his parents and Lizzie watching some cooking competition.
Lizzie looked up and sniffed. She was clearly still upset he hadn't had time to go to the mall with her. Lizzie looked nothing like him; she'd gotten the good genes. She had nice curls that their mother shared, and light blue eyes. His dad had however contributed to the straight brown of his hair, and brown eyes. Life wasn't fair. His parents looked up, and then were again concentrating on the intricate recipes. This was his chance.
"I'm going somewhere tomorrow, by the way."
Lizzie looked up in surprise. "You have friends?" She laughed to herself.
"Yes," Sam sighed. "I'm going tomorrow at 4, and I'll be back around 8 or 9." He turned his back to leave.
"Where?" His mother asked. She had a kind face, everyone told him that. His father on the other hand seemed to have a permanent scowl. When he was looking at him anyways.
"My friend's house."
"Who?" Lizzie and mom said in union.
"I met him back when school started..." He trailed off. Maybe he should of told them earlier.
"It's a school night tomorrow." She said this with a look of ease, as if she had already decided. "Maybe go this weekend."
Sam groaned out loud. "What?"
"You can reschedule."
"Why would I do that?" First they complain about him being in the house all day, and now they won't let him go?
"We're going to the mall tomorrow," Lizzie said matter-of-fact.
"I'm busy!"
"How would I know that?" Lizzie rolls her eyes.
"Spend some time with your sister, maybe." Mom said lightly and then turned back to the tv. So that was it?
"I never go anywhere!" Sam almost yells.
"We know," Lizzie snickers.
Sam walks over to her in one swift motion and flicks her on her nose. She dramatically yells ow, and he rolls his eyes.
"Stop that," Dad says, annoyed.
"Can I go?" Sam asks desperately.
"He has to come with me! He never does anything with me." Lizzie screeches.
"Me and my brother were never close, and I always regret that. Don't miss this for some hangout you can have any other day." Dad says gruffly, and sam feels defeated.
He goes up to his room and texts Jana that he can't make it. Her answering text is quick and irritated. Sneak out, she says simply. Hangout with your sister early and then later come here. Simple. He rereads the texts. Was he able to do this? He'd never remotely done anything to lose his parent's trust. If they found out, this was it. Still, something tempted him. The thought of doing something different, fun and spending time with Kris. He had to be there.
The next day, he felt energized and excited. More than once, Lizzie asked if he was on drugs. He took her to the mall, and they walked to any store they liked. By 6, she had done all her shopping and went home satisfied. Mom and dad looked approvingly at him, appreciating his enthusiasm with his sister. Later that night, he made his nightly routines and told her parents he was going to sleep earlier tonight. They nodded, not paying attention. He creeped through his window, and just as he was about to be free, Lizzie came in.
"Woah," she said.
He was done for. "Don't tell mom or dad."
She looked skeptical. "Why? Where are you going?"
He sighed and crawled halfway back. "Are you going to tell them?"
"Depends."
Whether she told them or not, one thing was sure: he was going.
"Please? This is important."
"Ooh, are you sneaking out to meet with a girl or something?"
He almost laughed. "Something like that."
"You have a girlfriend!" She squealed.
"Not yet," he said. "I have to go tonight, though. It's her birthday."
Her eyes shone. "Okay, I'll won't tell mom or dad, I swear."
He mouthed a silent thank you. 
"I always thought you were gay though," she smiled and left the room. A 12 year old knows and his parents didn't? He marveled and then pushed thru the window, landing on his feet. He waited outside for a few minutes, and then Jana was there. She pulled up in a flashy green car, and Sam wondered if she was rich. Another bonus on her end than on his.
He got in and in a few minutes, they were at Kris's house. The place was bustling, and his parents seemed to be gone. When he entered, he was greeted by warm air and the scent of alcohol. Kris was sitting and talking to red-headed girl and two guys were by his side. Another guy was drinking vodka from the bottle. Jana welcomed him in and threw a few chip bags at him, telling him to eat what he wants. She sounded like a mom.
Kris looked at him in an instant and they looked at each other for a moment. A slow smile placed on his face and then swept off when he peered at Jana.
"Sam, this is Rachelle," Jana motioned to the red headed girl. "This is Louise, Jack, Tristan."
Sam nodded politely.
"And the drunk one is Patrick."
Patrick got up and came in for a hug. Sam felt shocked but then smiled at Kris' bewildered expression.
Sam sat in-between Tristan and Kris. He eyed Tristan, just for something to do and realized he was very attractive. With his warm skin, dark eyes and curls, if he wasn't straight, Kris definitely had competition. His head was filled with different scenarios, and he quickly tried to focus on the conversation going on.
Kris couldn't focus. What was going on? Why was Sam here and how had he known? He guessed Jana had invited him, but why? He sighed. This birthday was getting harder by the minute. He droned in a light conversation with Tristan and the night passed by quickly. He didn't talk to Sam much, which might of looked strange but he didn't care. He felt the need to draw a line between them, an invisible barrier. Later, at about 11 or 12, people started leaving. It was a bit past 12, and only Jana, Louise and Sam remained. Kris grew uncomfortable, he didn't want it to be just him and Sam at the end. He knew how that would go. Still, a small part of him was happy he was here. He cared.
"Did you hear me?" Jana looked irritated.
Kris nodded.
"Okay, I love you, babe." She kissed his forehead and smiled, and then began to leave.
Louise wished Kris happy birthday again, and then left as well. It was just them, again.
"My parents should be back soon," Kris said in an attempt to rush him. His parents were coming home tomorrow.
"Oh," Sam said. His lip popped out and Kris couldn't stop himself from thinking how cute he looked. He felt bad.
"You can stay a bit, I guess. My birthday's over now."
Sam curled up beside Kris and they looked at each other, really looking. They felt at ease, more so than Kris felt with Jana. Under the covers, they held hands lightly, and Kris didn't think about what this meant. That night nothing sexual happened, yet all the air between them had changed. Kris felt at peace.