Chapter Five: House-elves

It took massive persuasion to get Madam Pomfrey to agree to let her return to her dorms. Lupin helped with some of it, he offered a compromise. Echo would stay till dinner starts, but if Madam Pomfrey noticed anything that was out of the ordinary, she would force her stay in the hospital wing for the night. In the end Echo, who had her arm properly bandaged, left with Professor Lupin towards the Great Hall, he stayed with her the whole time offering her some company. She didn't mind, he made good conversation, even though he carried the majority of it.

They were about to turn towards the corridor that led them to the Great Hall when Lupin stopped. He turned to face Echo.

"You know what? I have a better idea," said Lupin, turning to walk down a corridor that lead to the Basement. Echo stopped completely, not following him. She might feel slightly less guarded around him, but she's not gonna follow him blindly.

Upon noticing that she wasn't walking with him, he stopped. He should've known that she wouldn't have followed him without knowing where their destination will be. He turned to face Echo again, who had a stoic face, her eyes held suspicion.

"I'm just taking you to the kitchens. I figured that you wouldn't want to walk into the Great Hall that's filled with gossiping students and eat with eyes staring at you constantly," said Lupin, looking at her earnestly.

Echo was a little shocked. She didn't really know why honestly. It could be that he was doing something that was completely out of his way for her. Or, just that he knew that she would be uncomfortable with the stares. She liked having eyes on everyone else, not the other way around.

Lupin could almost feel the thoughts raiding her mind. She may not show what she is thinking or feeling, but he has figured out that she never does anything without thinking about it thoroughly.

She gave him a single nod, and began trailing after him. Walking silently away from the noisy Great Hall. They walked side-by-side down a flight of stone steps, and were now standing in front of a giant fruit bowl painting. Professor Lupin reached out and tickled the huge green pear, it started to giggle and it turned into a large green door handle. Lupin seized it, pulled the door open and gestured for Echo to walk in first.

She walked in hesitantly and took notice of her surroundings. It was an enormous high-ceiling room, large as the Great Hall above it. Mounds of glittering brass pots and pans heaped around the stone walls, and a great brick fireplace at the other end. At least a hundred little House Elves were hustling and bustling around the kitchen.

Echo heard the portrait door close behind her, along with Lupin's footsteps making their way next to her. He stopped a house-elf that was walking by, none of the other house-elves had noticed that they were even there.

"Excuse me, would you mind if we had dinner down here?" Lupin asked politely, while the house-elf gave the biggest smile. She answered with a high pitch squeaky voice.

"Of course not sir! Sipsy would be most delighted to help Profess-", however the house-elf, Sipsy, cut herself off as she glanced at Echo. She stared at her wide-eyes, mouth agape. Echo eyed Sipsy curiously and noticed that the noise had paused completely. She looked up, along with Professor Lupin, all the house-elves had stopped to look at Echo with the same expression. Echo turned her head slightly to look at Lupin with a questioning look, only to find that he had the same one. Suddenly, as if someone flipped a switch, all the Elves collectively bowed.

Echo stared for a second, looking around at the tiny bodies that were half bent, some of their noses touching the floor. She slowly crouched down in front of Sipsy, giving one last look at the rest of the bowing house-elves.

"Sipsy is it?" Echo asked, when finally crouched down somewhat at her level.

Upon hearing her name, Sipsy looked up to find Echo looking at her about a foot and a half away. She gave a look full of disbelief, then she began to cry hysterically.