Chapter Nine: Flight of the Fat Lady pt.1

"Echo, is it?"

Echo was pulling a couple books off a shelf in the Library when she turned to see a Ravenclaw sixth year, leaning his shoulder against the shelf. His hands were stuffed in his pockets, a cocky smirk resting on his face.

Echo gave a single nod, turning her attention back to the books. Skimming her finger along the spines, searching for a specific one.

"I'm Nick."

She didn't respond as she pulled "Potion Ingredients and Where To Find Them" off the shelf and stacked it on top of the other books. Pulling the books to her chest, she started walking away.

The Ravenclaw blinked rapidly while opening and closing his mouth like a fish, baffled that she ignored him. Nick stood straight as he rushed after her, pushing through some students on the way.

When he finally caught up to her, she had plopped the books on a table that had rolls of parchment, bottles of ink and quills scattered on top of it.

"Well- I was just wondering if you wanted to-"

"Echo!" Neville was running over with his face stuffed into a book while flipping through the pages rapidly. "I went to see Professor Sprout to help her with the Aconite this morning. It was really early because they needed to be watered by sunrise- anyway, she gave me this book! I haven't seen it befo-" Neville's excited rambling was cut short when he reached Echo.

He was too busy skimming through the pages to notice the sixth year trying to talk to her. When he finally looked up, he looked between them and switched his gaze downward, muttering an apology while shifting his weight from side to side.

The Ravenclaw rolled his eyes.

"Move along pipsqueak, can't you see we're talking?" The Ravenclaw gestured to Echo and himself with his hands, as if Neville didn't understand what he was saying.

Neville stole a quick glance at Echo. She was staring at Nick, no emotion was present on her face.

Disappointment filled him; thinking that she agreed with Nick, he muttered a quick "sorry" and turned to leave with his head down.

He didn't get far as he felt a sharp tug, pulling him back by the neck. Looking behind him, Echo had a handful of his jumper preventing him from going anywhere. She was still staring at Nick emotionlessly.

"He stays."

Nick rolled his eyes again, muttering a quick whatever with an annoyed expression.

He looked back at Echo, the smirk was plastered back onto his face with an arrogant look in his eyes. Stepping closer, the Ravenclaw brought his hand up; Echo's eyes followed his movements. Taking a strand of her hair, he twirled it with his forefinger. Voice suggestive as he spoke.

"I was hoping that you and me could go to Hogsmeade toget-"

He was interrupted, again, as Echo swiftly made a move to grab his hand, twisting it, earning a groan of pain from Nick. He didn't get to look at her with surprise for long before Echo's right foot shot out, driving it into the side of knee causing him to drop to the ground.

With Nick still in her grip, she squatted in front of him.

His face was contorted into one of pain as he made eye contact with her. It was like she was doing the most mundane thing in the world as her face remained neutral.

"Touch me, again-" she twisted his hand more- "disrespect Neville, again-" he let out another groan of pain as she twisted it harder. Any more pressure, and his wrist would snap. "And you will not only find yourself in the Hospital wing with a snapped wrist . . . . but a missing tongue as well." Her voice held promise as she spoke lowly and ominously.