Chapter Twenty One: Second Bite's The Charm?

~~~~~~~~

Echo had never been apart of stranger group. Crookshanks led the way down the stairs; Echo was walking a bit ahead of Lupin, Pettigrew, and Ron as they went next, looking like entrants in a six-legged race. Next came Professor Snape, drifting creepily along, his toes hitting each stair as they descended, help up by his own wand, which was being pointed at him by Sirius. Harry and Hermione brought up the rear.

Getting back into the tunnel was difficult, also uncomfortable. Echo was walking with Lupin, while he, Pettigrew and Ron had to turn sideways to manage it; Lupin had Pettigrew covered with his wand. They edged awkwardly along the tunnel in single file. Crookshanks was still in the lead. Harry went right after Sirius, who was still making Snape drift along ahead of them; he kept bumping his lolling head on the low ceiling. It was clear that Sirius was making no effort to prevent this.

"So, you knew the whole time?" Lupin said abruptly to Echo as they made their slow progress along the tunnel. "About Sirius and Peter?"

"I had a feeling Black was innocent when I caught him at Gryffindor tower," Echo said. "But I didn't know about Peter until the second Hogsmeade trip."

"Why . . .?" said Lupin. "Why didn't you tell me?" There wasn't an edge to his words, nor was he suggesting something negative. His words were light, and reassuring that any answer could be given.

"I wanted to," she admitted truthfully. "But I wanted to wait until I had evidence . . . I didn't want to get your hopes up. . . . I wouldn't hurt you like that."

Lupin had noticed many things about Echo over the past year. But the one thing that stood out the most, was her determined ability to make sure that the ones she did care about, didn't get hurt because of her actions. She observed; analyzed what was given to her and never pushed for more; took safe measures while taking only necessary risks; Echo held high expectations for herself, never letting those expectations fall, just so those she cared for always had a secure shoulder to lean on — someone they could fall back on.

But when someone else caused harm . . . well, consequences were to be expected. Peter's broken nose was testament to that.

"Um," Lupin cleared his throat, "I guess now is as good as time as any—"

Peter made a weird sort of howling noise, interrupting Lupin. His nose was not it's usual pointed self, instead it was almost crumpled.

"Shut it, Peter," Echo said mundanely, cutting off Pettigrew's groans of pain. "Groaning is going to do nothing but earn you another broken bone — and I'm thinking clavicle."

Peter whimpered, scooting as close as possible to Ron, who just shoved him away.

"Right," Lupin said slowly, getting back on track to what he was about to say. His lips moved but no sound came out, trying to find the right way to say this. Eventually, he sighed.

"I talked to Dumbledore — before the Quidditch  Cup. . . . He and Mrs. Weasley agreed that it would be okay . . . if you spent a week or two with me — over the summer . . . if you want, of course," said Lupin stiffly. It was a bit difficult walking sideways while holding a conversation with Echo.

A weird feeling happened in her stomach, was it . . . giddiness?

"Didn't know Dumbledore had authority over me outside of school," Echo grumbled, shoving the strange feeling aside.

Lupin paused for a moment, letting her response sink in, then exhaled a chuckle. "Dumbledore also said to expect a response like that."

"The old man knows me better than I thought," she mumbled to herself.