Chapter Twenty Two: Your Self-Hatred Can Go Fuck Itself

~~~~~~~~~~

"Do you think she'll turn into a werewolf?"

A scoff was heard. "She got scratched, Ron, not bitten."

"But still! You never know. I mean, what if Lupin licked his claws — or whatever — and then scratched her!"

"The possibility of tha—"

"If you two don't shut it, you'll spend the next full moon with me and we'll find out together," a groggy voice grumbled, interrupting the daily argument of Ron and Hermione.

Gods, Echo internally groaned. It felt like she was hit by a semi-truck, thrown in front of a speeding train and then proceeded to be forced through a meat grinder. Everything ached.

Despite her injuries, Echo swiftly moved into a sitting position and proceeded to dangle her legs over the edge of her bed. She didn't even need to open her eyes to notice she was in the hospital wing — the indistinguishable smell was enough.

"Echo!" Harry and Ron gasped in unison. It sounded like Ron was at the end and Harry was in the bed next to her.

"Echo- what are you doing?! You weren't supposed to be awake for another two days!" Hermione's voice followed.

"Shhh," Echo almost whined, waving her hand. Their loud voices were only adding to her pounding headache.

Popping noises, similar to bubble wrap was heard as she twisted her neck and back from side to side. Her body protested as she twisted herself around; stretching muscles that were not keen on being stretched. But soon, they lost their tension once she relaxed a bit. Each time she moved, she felt the shift of a bandage — and there seemed to be quite a few.

"Staring is rude," Echo grumbled further, feeling three pairs of eyes burning holes through her head.

"Echo . . . how do you feel?" Hermione asked quietly, but her tone was worried.

"I'm not dead, so given the circumstances — I'm fine," she answered, rubbing her temples. "How long have I been out?"

"I'm not sure . . . but it's eleven a.m. . . ," said Hermione.

"Echo, how come you never told us you were an animagus?" Ron asked incredulously. "It's incredible!"

Echo looked over her shoulder, glimpsing at Ron. He seemed more excited than Echo was when she shifted for the first time.

"I'll tell you if you give me a summary of what happened last night — after I transformed."

"Oh- well—"

"Peter escaped," Harry said solemnly, interrupting Ron.

" 'Course he did," she grumbled after processing what was said.

The servant will break free and set out to rejoin his master. Trelawney's words repeated in her head like a broken record. Pettigrew was the servant, and he will succeed on resurrecting Voldemort. But, that also meant that things were occurring as planned. At least Echo had an idea of what's to come — no matter how vague it may be.

"But so did Sirius and Buckbeak," Hermione added, trying to keep the mood hopeful.

"That's good," Echo murmured, followed by a yawn.