Chapter 20: Sports Festival: Prepping Phase

Izuku sat in a waiting room. It was sort of dimly lit, but it was bright enough to see, which was decent enough for Izuku. All the students were in they're training uniforms,
chatting away with one another as each of them try to guess this years events. The classroom was all abuzz with activity...until one student stood up for once, with his eyes set onto Izukus.

It was Shoto Todoroki. He had been silent the majority of Class 1-As history, but now seems to want to say something to Izuku. He walks over to Izuku slowly and looks at him. "Midorya...a word?"

Izuku looked around and stands up, ready to be talked down by Shoto. Although he was usually silent, always seemed to be calm and cool, and was always the sort of man to challenge himself and others to prove himself for some unknown reason.

He sighs and looks to Izuku. "Normally, I wouldn't ask this of someone..but...due to recent events, and how you've applied yourself...I want to challenge you to see who truly is the best of 1-A...." he says.

Izuku was taken aback. He was sort of half right with Shoto challenging him..but he worded it so calmly and with a kind tone.

Shoto continues. "I see you as a potential challenge and hurdle for me to overcome..just like you, I seek to be the best of class 1-A, and all heroes." He says "but I also don't want to get there easily...thats where you come in. This is the first time we will ever face one another...and I intend to beat you in any challenge they throw at us.."

Izuku nods "I fully understand...but I will do my best.."

"That was what I was asking. Do your best. Don't pull any pity punches for me or anyone else..use any quirks you've stockpiled...." he says. He winces a bit though. He knows that he won't use his full potential for one reason..but...if he can bear Izuku with just his left side, it would show his old man how far ahead he's come without his help.

Izuku nods. "Okay...I understand.." he sighs "though...I will say if I went all in...it wouldn't be pretty for anyone else..."

Shoto nods. "The USJ showed us a villain full of powerful quirks..and you took them all..." he says "all the more reason I should beat you."

Izuku nods and smiles "then...i challenge you to. Even if one of us loses, however...be a real man and own the fact we at least tried, right?" He says.

Shoto was..taken aback a bit now. Most people he challenges would be a jerk..but this Izuku kid was being kind and thoughtful towards him, which is a feeling he hasn't felt since....he shakes his head and nods "understood...I'll see you on the field then, Midorya.." he says. He sits back down in his corner.

Ochaco sort of sees and hears all of what was said and done, and smiles. She sits by Izuku and looks at him. "That was...amazing how you handled that!" She says "I never thought that you'd be so calm taking to Todoroki...that guy stresses me out when he's near...he just has an imposing presence.." she says.

"All the more reason I have to be strong.." he smiles to her. "I have to stay determined...I have to show everyone that I won't back down, right? That's what a true hero does! And from what I've heard, all heroes follow by example..if I can show you and everyone else that you shouldn't be afraid of him...then that shows that I can be the best hero!" Izuku smiles.

Ochaco blushes and nods "you always were that determined guy I saw back when we first met..." she sighs "it's only been like...a month, and already your determined to be a true leader..." she smiles "that's what I l-" she covers her mouth.

"W-would you care to-" Izuku was about to ask.

"I-it's nothing!" She says. She gets up. "Good luck on your thing...and all.." she covered her face from showing a mad blush and runs away.