50.

The day of the Slytherin 'Christmas Ball' was literal chaos.

I'm lying. Obviously.

It wasn't.

It was like any other day save for the exceptional holiday excitement buzzing around. Classes had finished early and everyone was excited to go back home for Christmas. Just two more days and majority of the Hogwarts population will be sitting on the Hogwarts express. Because of such a well laid out plan, Slytherin dormitory was all but chaotic. Everything was already laid out and ready to go for today night.

After having a quick lunch, most of us Slytherins race back to the Slytherin Common rooms to get everything sorted for the evening. Walking up the staircase to our dorms, I hear the excited squeals of the girls getting ready of the night and showing of their dresses. I chuckle, letting myself into our dorm. Tracy has already laid out all our dresses on the beds and proceeds to lay out the jewellery. She says that Carina has gone to help start things off and that we should be heading out too. I nod, smiling and link my arm in hers to go do my bit.

Checking the stores for the last time, I check everything off the list and fold it up.

"All there," I smile at Warrington. He runs a finger over the crate of Red wine and messes up my hair, giving me a toothy grin.

"Well done, first timer."

"All of a slice of cheesecake," I huff, closing the door shut and swish my wand in front of it, locking it.

"Luckily, you'll have plenty of that today," Warrington smiles at little first years moving around chairs and books with their basic knowledge of charms. With that amount of concentration on their face, they could be moving a bomb. A weight settles on my heart. I push it away.

"That's the only thing I'm actually looking forward to." Standing in the centre of the Common room, it's truly fascinating seeing all the Slytherin house helping each other.

"What? Food?" Warrington raises an eyebrow at me.

"I live to eat," I defend myself. He just chuckles and tells me I should go get ready now, since I don't really have anything else to do. I nod at him and head upstairs.

I put on the dress, the satin flows soft and uncontained from between my fingers. Flawless, the cloth's touch is like milk on honey, like starlight on earth. Soft, softer than anything that I've ever laid hands on in my whole life. The complete antithesis of my heart.

The dress is simple and elegant. The emerald coloured fabric falls beautiful around me, the collar a deep cut V and a slit along the right side, running up and exposing my leg up to my midthigh. There was a single belt of studded pea-sized pearls running around my waist, defining my figure. I smile, looking at myself in the mirror as Tracy and Carina come in laughing. They stop short, looking at me as my smile stretches wider.

"Wow," Carina breathes, running a finger along the belt. "You really suit this. Like really really suit this."

My cheeks heat up as she looks me up and down, smiling to herself. Tracy interject, her curls bobbing up and down as she waddles over and takes Carina by the arm. "Come on," she whines, "we have to get changed as well."

Carina nods and then looks at me, "put on your jewellery. Me and Tracy will help you with the rest."

I nod at them, turning to look in the mirror and put on the string of pearls held together by single thread of carefully crafted gold. The earring dangles, swaying back and forth as I sweep my hair back and put on the other. Looking at myself in the mirror, I can almost pretend that I am another person. Someone who knows less about life than I do. Who thinks in wonders and constellations and dreams up galaxies and the brightest stars of the universe. Someone whose existence colours someone else's lonely canvas and makes the bleak days seem less so. Some who can wear their heart on their sleeve and live and love and give with all of it. Someone, who lives in the blissful ignorance of the fact that death is one careless breath away. Someone, who has never faced the pain of their family being torn away.