Good News

Past (1995)

"Hey guys!" James said, running towards the kitchen meeting Albus and Scorpius. "I've got good news to tell you!"

"What is it?" Albus asked, wiping the table.

"We're—"

Suddenly there was a loud scream upstairs, Scorpius was so frightened by this that he dropped the glass that he was washing in the sink.

"What was that?" he asked frantically, wand at the ready.

Hermione then came running excitedly in the kitchen, holding a piece of parchment with an ecstatic smile engraved upon her face.

"I can't believe it! I've been made a prefect for Gryffindor!" Hermione squealed with excitement and joy.
"That's wonderful!" said James.

"Is Harry a prefect?" Sirius asked eagerly; his bandage was removed by Madam Pomfrey a few hours ago.

"I'm really sorry to say this Sirius, but Ron's a prefect as well."

Just then, Ron, Mr. and Mrs. Weasley, the twins and Ginny came to the kitchen; Ron was holding a letter which announced that he has been made a prefect.

"I can't believe it Ron!" said Mrs. Weasley, tears trickling down her freckled face. "You're a prefect! I'm so proud of you!"

Ron's ears turned pink as his face turned as red as his hair.
"No need to fret Hermione," Sirius assured her. "Harry's so lucky to not be a prefect."

"What makes you say that Sirius?" Harry asked.

"Well, being a prefect has a great deal of responsibilities. Like telling members of each houses off and taking points away from them; and besides, I've never seen a prefect who doesn't follow the rules." said Sirius.

Remus shrugged. "Do you even know me Padfoot?"

Sirius let out a laugh.

"I thought Dumbledore was going to make you prefect Harry. But Ickle Ronnikins would be much better." Fred grinned.

"And after all, Harry is Dumbledore's pet." George snickered. Mrs. Weasley gave the twins a reproachful glare.

"I hope I'll be a prefect." said Rose anxiously, scratching her fiery red hair in frustration.

"I'm sure you will Rosie ." Scorpius said firmly, adjusting a lock of her hair unto her ear and giving her a quick kiss on the forehead.

Sirius's eyes twitched at this, and mimed throwing up behind them as Albus sniggered. "Really? You already gave her a nickname?" said James, smirking mischeivously.

They continued chatting and ate bread rolls and raspberry torte for dessert.
"James, a minute ago you said that you had good news to tell us. What was it?" Albus asked.

"Oh, Dad told me that we'll be returning home in a week." James announced.

"Smashing!"

"Hooray!"

"Oh, that quick?" Mrs. Weasley asked disappointedly.

"Don't worry Grandma, we'll get to see back in the future." Rose piped up, much to Mrs. Weasley's relief.

Meanwhile at the far end of the table, Teddy and Tonks were having a contest on who could morph the best faces; while Lily and Ginny were being the judges.

"Well Teddy looks so authentic with cat whiskers." said Lily, as Teddy began to purr like a pussy cat with whiskers and cat ears growing.

"Agreed." said Ginny, trying to restrain her laughter but couldn't. "But Tonks's pig snout is, f-funny! Please stop!" Ginny howled with laughter, as Tonks continued to morph her face into different forms.

James was telling Harry, Ron. the twins and Sirius about some of his memorable pranks with Freddie and his two best friends Vincent Jordan, son of Lee Jordan and Rodrick Finnigan, son of Seamus.

He told them during their first year at Hogwarts when they were wandering around the corridors at around three o' clock in the morning with the help of the Invisibility Cloak and Marauders Map and they secretly pulled Mr. Filch's pants off, and told Peeves to drop some dungbombs in his office, which caused his cat Mrs. Norris to scurry around like a coward.

"And then while we were about to head to the common room, he pulled the cloak we and got detention for about a month." James sniggered.

"That was bloody brilliant." Ron laughed.

"Try to imagine that!" Harry grinned.

Rose, Scorpius, Hermione and Remus were discussing about their favorite books 'Hogwarts: A History', 'Magical Hieroglyphs and Logograms' and 'Numerology and Grammatica'.

"Well they have to update it, Salazar Slytherin adding the Chamber of Secrets and others." said Rose.

"But what still bothers me is that why in the world would Slytherin put the Chamber of Secrets in a girls' lavatory." said Scorpius, disturbed.

Hermione chuckled; "Well what bothers me the most that when we were school we thought the Chamber of Secrets was just a story just to scare children and we never put it on the Marauders Map." said Remus.

"Too bad you resigned Professor Lupin," said Hermione. "You could've taught us more DADA stuff, wonder who'll be our next teacher."

James snickered behind her back.

Albus's heart was touched at this; he was starting to recall the moment they first arrived at Grimmauld Place, it seemed like his young family had known them even before the landed in the past.

"... seems quiet, they're having lunch I reckon..."

"... just hope it'll work..."

Three familiar voices rang through Albu's ear. Everyone stopped chatting with each other once they heard them too, they waited anticaptingly with wands at the ready; the door swung open.

"Sorry 'bout that." said Harry, awkwardly stepping into the kitchen, followed by Hermione and Draco.

"Great to see you all!" Hermione said cheerfully.

"Dad? But I thought- James told me that you'll be arriving here next week." Albus asked, staring at James.

"Professor Snape adjusted the potion, that's what it made it more quicker to brew." Draco explained.

"Well don't just stand there, take a seat," said Sirius optimistically. "Come Harry sit with me, I forgot to ask you to tell me your job as an Auror."

Harry narrated in great detail to Sirius his daring encounters and narrow escapes from ferocious dark wizards as an Auror. Hermione couldn't help but smile at this, oh how wonderful would it be if he would tell this to Sirius if he survived.

"So Hermione, I've heard that you're the Minister of Magic in the future! Is that true?" Tonks asked excitedly, morphing her face back into her usual look.

"Yes. Yes I am." Hermione said proudly.

"That's totally awesome!" she exclaimed, her hair turning into various colors before finally returning to bubblegum pink. "You know if I were you, I'd quit the job, too much paperwork I'm fine staying as an Auror."

Tonks continued to talk to Hermione about her job as an Auror and Hermione just occassionally gave nods of agreement.