• 15 •

~~~~~~~~

  "You can't choose your college only because he's going there!" My mother argued as I sat on my bed. The letters from my college applications spread across my bed. My mother and father giving disappointed looks. I sighed as I shut my eyes when my father's british accent began to attack me.
  "He's not good for you. I don't accept your relationship with that boy-"
  "Oh like your opinion matters." I argue back. I would like to regret what I just said but I didn't regret it. At all. My father was no one to talk about who was good for me.
  "Don't you dare speak to your father like that-"
  "Why are you defending him?" I quickly get up and stomp my foot on the ground.
  "See how he's a bad influence-"
  "Well, I grew up with an alcoholic for a father. What do you expect me-"
  "That was in the past." My father argues back. I roll my eyes and pick up my letters.
  "You guys are supposed to be proud of me." I say, trying my best to hide the sad tone in my voice. I was going to see what College I got accepted at and my parents were furious. Why? Because Timothee was supposedly a bad influence. Plus my father just doesn't like Timmy.
  "We are, we're just not proud of the people you hang out with." My mother says crossing her arms. This is probably the only moment I've hated her in my life. "He's going to hurt you-"
  "Shut up, dad literally hit you." I say as I begin to get tired of their "advice". I pick up my letters and throw them in my bag. I turn to look at my parents and scoff when they don't move. "Please move."
  "What are you going to do?" My father asks as I push past them. Going into my closet and grabbing a backpack. I quickly throw some clothes in there and rush to get my essentials. Putting my electronics and putting my basic hygiene stuff.
  "You guys literally suffocate me." I say as I put on my shoes and get ready to leave.
  "You are not leaving-"
  "Watch me." I say as I walk past my mother and rush down the stairs. I was just about to leave with Timothee when I got pulled back into my room. And soon screams and questions were filling my room. They thought I was going to apply to Oxford. My dream college...but Timothee had already applied to Columbia. And I can't leave Timothee.
  "Lola! Lola Beatrix get back here!" My father yelled as I opened the front door. I walked to Timothee, who had a smile plastered on his face. But soon it dropped once he saw me carrying my stuff.
  "What happened?" Timothee asked worriedly.
  "My parents hate you." I say as I open the car door and try my best to ignore my parents's shouts. Timothee stares at my parents before pulling his cancer stick from the back of his ear and lighting up. Taking a small puff before walking around the car and getting in. I quickly grabbed the aux and put on the song I knew my parents hated. Definitely because of family trauma. Did I forget to mention my father came home with a gun once? Yeah. Well it was horrible.
  "Lola! Get out of that car!" My father yelled as he got closer to the car. My hand automatically met Timothee's shoulder and I shook him. Timothee getting my message and driving away. I look back at my parents who had disappointed looks on their faces. They had to accept Timothee. I'm gonna marry him. So they've got to get used to him.
  I get as close I could to Timothee and wrapped my arms around his neck. Timothee smiling as we went full speed blasting Mother Mother. My lips meet Timothee's cheek as he keeps driving.
  "We're gonna have the best weekend of your life, trouble maker." Timothee says with a smirk. I roll my eyes and place my head on his shoulder.
  "They just don't get me." I say as I shut my eyes. Timothee keeps on driving and rolls down the windows. Letting my hair blow back. My parents have got to at least like him. Why don't my parents like him? So what he smokes? My dad was an alcoholic. He's not even a bad influence. He's basically my life now.

~~~~~~~~~~~

  "Hey mum." I say as pull the chair in front of the brown coffee table. My mother gives me one of her usual sweet smiles as she holds a small poetry book. Her coffee mug placed right in front of her. A set of green sticky notes and a pen next to it. My mother's hands place her book down as she marked the page she had left on.
  "Hey baby." She says as she gets ups and hugs me, followed by a small kiss on my cheek. Her aura automatically making me feel safe. I sit down in front of the table and sigh as we begin our conversation.
  "How's father?" I ask as I take a sip of the black coffee she had ordered me before I even got here. She smiles but at the same time she was sad. A sad smile plastered on her face as her eyes watered.
  "He's good." She says and tries to put on a happy face. I never really talk to my father. Well we haven't been the same ever since I argued with him about Timothee. "How are you doing, sweety?"
I finally burst. My mom just had an effect that made me softer and sadder than usual. She could see right through my lies. She could make me cry when she asked me how I felt. It was like when I had all of my emotions trapped inside of me...she could feel that. And whenever she asked me she was basically letting all of my emotions.
"Oh, baby." My mother's blue eyes beginning to water as she reached for my hands.
"I waisted and gave him all of my love, mum." I say as the tears keep running down my eyes.
"I know how you feel, baby, but you'll find-"
"I don't think I'll be able to love anymore." I say as cut my mom off. She looks at me with sad eyes and sighs.
"Aren't you with that Percy Jackson actor?" My mother asks me making me chuckle at the mention of Logan.
"It's Logan...and no. I'm not ready yet."
"Baby...it's been half a year." My mother reminds me of how time goes flying. How nothing you do in this world matters because we don't have enough time. It's like blinking. It felt just like if it was yesterday when Timothee and I met.
"Still not ready, mum." I sigh and take a sip of my coffee. "I don't believe in love anymore."
"Oh honey...I stopped believing in it years ago." My mother says and let's out a long sigh.
"Yeah...you and dad kind of also helped with my toxic relationships." I say casually.
"Yeah, I'm sorry." My mother says as we both look at each other. Now neither of us looked sad. Just emotionless. We both knew our relationships were messed up. We know that we won't ever get the love we got before. And we won't ever give the love we got back.
But Logan. Logan gave me hope. Just as much as the summer brezze in the hot nights give me hope for a brand new adventure. Just how drinking the stars in a glass as I read my favorite books give me hope of one day writing my own book. I was starting to feel affection for him. But it most definitely wasn't love.