TWENTY TWO

Scott arrived quickly, with his mother by his side. Melissa rushed to Stiles's side, while Derek told Scott what happened, stuttering and shivering while doing so. Scott gave him the same look he gave him when he first found out about Stiles's pregnancy, and then slowly walked towards Stiles and Melissa.

Meanwhile, Melissa tried to convince Stiles to let her treat him, but he wasn't letting her touch him either.
His hands were still wrapped protectively around his bleeding belly, his eyes were blank, staring at some spot, and he looked like he couldn't even hear what the others were saying.

"Hey it's me, Stiles. I wanna help you, please let me do it." Melissa said, but Stiles still wasn't responding.
"Stiles, I know you're worried about the baby. And that you want to protect him at all cost, and I want that too. Let me help you both, do it for him." Melissa said, understanding how Stiles felt.

It took a few moments, but eventually Stiles lowered his hands slowly, tears streaming down his cheeks. He still didn't speak, or look at anyone. Melissa gave him something for the pain, and then sewed him up and wrapped some bandages around his stomach and hands.

"Can you stand up?" She asked him, but he didn't reply. She then offered him her hands, which surprisingly he took, and slowly stood up with her help, and sat on the couch. His arms going straight to his belly again.

Melissa then approached Scott and Derek, who were nervously waiting on the other side of the living room.
"He'll be fine." She said. "I can stay for a bit longer, but I have a shift soon, so I think someone should-"
"I'll stay." Both Scott and Derek said simultaneously, cutting her off. She nodded.

Stiles was still and quiet, and Scott and Derek knew better than to approach and talk to him, although they really wanted to try and comfort him.

"Should I call his dads?" Scott asked Derek after a while. Stiles started shaking his head no, and panicking all over again. Derek moved so Stiles could see his face and said "OK, it's ok, we don't have to if you don't want to." And Stiles calmed down.

Derek looked at Scott worryingly and Scott had never seen the alpha so helpless. Derek felt like a disappointment for everyone, especially Stiles. And it killed him.

The first night Scott stayed so they could watch over Stiles in shifts while one of them sleeps, but none of them really slept. Derek ended up telling Stiles's parents that he was staying at his place for a few days, and they were truly happy, guessing Stiles and Derek finally made up.

The next day Scott had to go, having school and work, so Derek stayed with Stiles. Stiles slowly started drinking, and eating, and showering. But he still didn't talk or looked at Derek, even when he was helping him do all those things. Derek helped him shower, cooked for him, and changed his bandages every day. Stiles finally got some sleep the second night, allowing himself to lay down on Derek's bed.

When he woke up it was noon, and he felt the weight of someone else next to him on the bed. He knew it was Derek, and he knew he was awake, watching him. He knew that although he got some sleep, Derek didn't sleep at all. He got out of bed to pee and brush his teeth, still not looking at Derek, and not talking. A breakfast was waiting for him on the kitchen counter, and he ate about half of it, unwillingly, knowing the baby still needed food.

The loft stayed so quiet, and it physically hurt Derek to see Stiles that way. But he gave him time and space and everything he needed in order to get better.

The fourth night Stiles got into bed and under the covers. And when Derek thought he was asleep, he joined and layed beside him, still keeping his distance. But Stiles was awake, and this time he sent a hand to grab Derek's, and wrapped it around himself, so Derek was spooning him.

Derek's hand was resting on Stiles's belly, but he didn't move it. He didn't wanna ruin it. Stiles finally let him in, and finally let someone else touch him, which was a big step.

"I'm not mad at you." Stiles said, these being his first words since what happened. "I know you're blaming yourself, but you shouldn't. Because it isn't your fault in any way."

"I said I would protect you." Derek said, feeling vulnerable. "I promised you, but things keep happening to you and I hate myself for that. I said I would always be there, I promised."

Stiles finally turned around to face Derek after he said that. He put a hand on Derek's cheek.

"I'm not gonna lie, that was scary as fuck. I thought for a minute that that was it. But you were there. When it really mattered you were. I guess it's something that had to happen for you to believe me, and you got here on time. If you were just a minute late, I don't know what would have happen.."

"But I could've prevent all of it. I should've believed you when you told me those things, I took her word over yours and that's fucked up. I'm so sorry for that, Stiles, I'll never forgive myself for doing that."

"You were in love." Stiles said, half smiling. "Love makes you crazy, blind. You wanted to believe she was good for you."

"I wasn't in love with her." Derek said.

"Oh."

"It's just.. last time I had a girlfriend she used me, and ended up burning my entire family. And now another girlfriend tried to ruin the family I'm building, and.. I can't help but think the problem is me..and..Do I even deserve a family? What kind of father am I going to be if this is what happens to the people I care about?"

"Don't ever say that. The fact that you've dated the wrong girls doesn't mean anything about you. They used you. And that's horrible. But you're such a strong person, and this time, you were able to save and protect your family. You were a teenager when you dated Kate, you're so much stronger and smarter now. You're such a good person, even tho you try to hide that sometimes, but I see it. Of course you deserve a family, Derek. You're gonna be such an amazing father, you already are. I mean, I'm so nervous about it too, but with you by my side, as my kid's dad, I know we'll be alright."

Derek nodded and hugged Stiles. "I'm sorry" he said again and a tear fell down his face.

"Don't be." Stiles answered. "Now can you please get some sleep?"

Derek smiled and nodded. Stiles turned around, so Derek can spoon him and they fell asleep instantly.