ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 8: Slow Down

There's only one bed.

- GeorgeNotFound.

I felt like there was a prodigious courage pushing inside me, demanding me to be brave and strong. I never had this kind of bravery before, yeah, I felt proud of myself.

The three boys ahead of me casually leapt; one after another across the boiling stream of lava with no worries, landing roughly on the red, dusty netherack. Turning back to see that I hadn't followed them across.

Dream beckoned me over, with a a few gentle flicks of his hands, "Come on, Y/u/n."

Staring down at the thin ribbon below that I knew to be a vast river of death, I should have been scared.

I look up to the others watching them standing idly, scuffing their feet into the blocks below.

Feeling pumped, excited, more alive than I had ever thought possible. All the mundane worries of my life had been muted and all there was to know about was this moment.

No worrying about the past, no anxiety about the future. Adrenaline fuelled I leapt into the other side with nothing but air beneath my feet; eyes wide, grin wider. The boys smiled along with me seeming impressed, almost proud.

"Let's go!" Pushing Sapnap aside, my grin never fading as I walk up ahead with George.

。゚•┈୨☁୧┈•゚。

Dream and Sapnap noticed that George and I were taking our time and falling behind so they stopped continuously to wait for us.

Being extra cautious, as to not disturb the surrounding mobs.

Obviously we weren't being careful enough, because out of the corner of my eye I saw two Hoglins charging right at George, thinking fast I quickly grabbed his arm and pulled him behind me as one hit my shield with it's tusks.

I managed to kill the other whilst it's attention was on George.

Y/u/n has earned the achievement [Monster Hunter]

Looking over to where Sapnap and Dream were, they were niggling eachother and didn't notice what was happening before them, "Dream, Sapnap! Some assitance?" I yell as the remaining Hoglin backs up and charges again.

George moving back up to throw his own hits. Dream rushes over with Sapnap following.

As went to charge at me once again an arrow wizzes past my head and hits the hoglin right in-between the eyes, the beast collapses dead on the ground. I turn to look over my shoulder to see Dream holding his bow with another arrow ready.

Dream has earned the achievement [Take Aim]

I look over to him, almost sulking. "Dream... That was my chance to look cool!"

He smiles and starts his wheezing laughing, "That was your first kill?"

I feel my eyes widen and I shift to look at the ground somewhat embarrassed, "Was it that obvious?"

"No, I saw the achievement. It surprised me, I thought you'd become a professional." He chuckles with a genuine smile pulled just visible under the mask, "There's more Hoglins, let's try and get out of this biome. I'll let you have the next one." He mocks as he puts his bow and arrows away in his hotbar.

Raising my head and I point my chin up, averting my eyes away from him. "It'll be gone before you even see the next one." I scoff, but I couldn't hold in the laughter, "Thanks anyway."

。゚•┈୨☁୧┈•゚。

I stayed close to George, with Dream and Sapnap just ahead of us, testing the waters and taking the bigger risks. Altogether we made our way up the highest hill mounds and crossed too many lava pools to count. The air gradually breaking our chain of hope.

I could see George in the corner of my eye, he was still smiling.

He had a smile so bright and the kind of thoughtfulness that warmed your heart. His deep brown eyes sparkled like those of a child in a candy store and had a laugh that was so contagious you would often found yourself breathless in his presence.

I laugh under my breath, at least someone is still hopeful.

Turning my attention back to the front, Dream was racing Sapnap and pushing himself over the tall blocks ahead of Sapnap.

Snickering softly from his muted screams at Dream. The small speck looking up to the other bright green speck, both glaring at each other from their distanced pedestals.

Sapnap is the kind of guy who would drag you out of the house in the middle of the night to get a greasy snack, the kind of person who never fails to distract you from your everyday worries. Sure he was a little stupid, but he made it his humour.

As for Dream, at first glance, he seemed like the kind of guy you'd hire to kill your husband: a strange smily mask that covered almost the whole front of his face, wore a bright green hoodie, with the hood covering his fluffy dirty blond hair that peaked out sometimes.

If a stranger ever spoke to him, his dry wit supported their prejudices. But that's just the aura he gives off, I knew he was different than that.

On the topic of Dream...

"Where is Dream?" George asked aloud for Sapnap to hear.

He shrugs and comes back towards us, "He wen't over this hill and suddenly he was gone."

"I thought you had him!" Georges irritated voice shouts out to the incoming figure.

Sapnap finally makes it up to us, "Don't just stand there looking at me. Let's catch up to him."

Shouting rent the air. What was once peaceful became polluted with excitement. Everyone tensed and looked up to the small green highlighter, shouting muffled words.

"Dream, we can't hear you!" I reply as loud as I could.

"Whyaatt?!"

I roll my eyes and nudge, George forward to meet back up with Dream.

Dream starts hopping up and down impatiently, as if he had exciting news that he wanted to tell us all dramatically. "I found... a fortress!"

I sigh, "You said that the last forty eight times..."

He starts pushing me ahead, my heels dragging along the pixels, my render distance loading in a large darkened castle.

"See!" He mumbles in my ear, I'm sure he didn't mean it but his closeness made me feel weird, my stomach churned and my face flushed.

I walked forward with Sapnap to subtly escape.

。゚•┈୨☁୧┈•゚。

Like a jungle of red and black the fortress grew right out of the nether metropolis.

The four us us stood studying the tall dark structure. George finally making the first move to touch the netherbrick walls. "Looks like wwe have a long climb."

I look up over to the Blazes and wither skeletons over our heads. "That's the least of our worries."

GET IN THE BED!

- Dream.