Sweet nothings

Sprinting down to the east hatch, a gust of wind filled the cafeteria as Pink jumped out of the shuttle. Yellow screamed and ran after her, but it was too late. Red and Orange held her back as I closed the hatch and checked the oxygen levels.

Feeling all of the day's emotions at once, I punched the security computers to silver metal chunks for an hour and a half before heading back to the cafeteria. Red was isolating Black in what was left of security, while Cyan and Orange tried to restrain Yellow, who was getting more and more aggressive.

One thing they taught us in school was the importance of keeping calm under pressure. We learned breathing techniques, yoga positions, or healthy ways to express strong feelings. But sometimes you couldn't keep calm. It hurt too much. And there was no shame in needing a little help.

Pink had cleaned Medbay earlier, so it was easy to find what I needed.

I sat by Yellow for a moment, before injecting a light sedative. When the feral anger left her eyes, they glimmered with deep vulnerability. She leaned against me, sobbing Pink's real name, Rachel as she got more and more tired.

"Come back." Rachel,come back." Holli repeated over and over. I lay her on the Medbay cot and fell asleep on the ground next to her.