Chapter 2

***You guys ready for a double update? Because it'll be at least a day before you get another one. I have officially procrastinated on "Under the Lights" and my classwork too long. Apparently, books don't write themselves, and degrees don't earn themselves.

On the bright side, this story has lots of material already written for it. I just like to edit and tweak it until it suits my fancy LOL***

***(Lloyd's POV)***

***Music Cue***

"Hey, Nya," I say quietly, tapping on her door.

"Come in," she monotones.

I cringe. She hates me. She'll never forgive me for what I did to her that night I got drunk.

I never should've returned to Harumi's party that evening.

"Lloyd, you're back!" Rumi giggles, obviously a little tipsy. "Did you miss me?"

I run a hand through my hair. "Yes," I confess.

I'm still in love with her, even if she is betraying me.

"Why the sad face?" she coos. She takes my hands in hers.

"Nya doesn't love me anymore," I mumble. "She's just like my parents. I thought I could trust her."

"Oh, Lloyd." Harumi's eyes are filled with sadness, concern...and something else. Something gleaming and devious.

I ignore it.

"I know just what'll make you feel better," she smiles, hugging my arm. She guides me toward the bar.

The Jades are away for the week at some political conference, so Harumi can have her shindig inside. That's a good thing. It's kind of cold outdoors right now.

"You need a drink," Rumi smiles. "Chamille, get something for Lloyd, and make it strong. He's had a bad night."

"I don't drink," I say quietly. "I promised I wouldn't while I was underaged. I'm still sixteen."

"Oh, Lloyd," Harumi murmurs, "that's a good promise, but only in context. Trust me, a little alcohol will make it all better. I know from experience."

I eye the glass Chamille sets in front of me.

"Just try a little?" Harumi says. I can tell she's actually worried about me.

I swallow, fingering the glass. "Okay. But stop me before I have too much, all right?" Not that I can trust her, but she's the only one who cares that I even exist right now.

"I promise," she says, that glint never leaving her eye.

I lift the drink to my lips. I just need a buzz – that's all.

I shake my head, pushing my way into Nya's room. She's under her fluffy teal comforter, highlighting something in a notebook.

And Jay Walker is cuddled up next to her, watching her work.

"Uh...did I...you...did I interrupt something?" I can't form words.

Nya glares at me, putting a finger to her lips. "Shh. Jay's sleeping. He's not feeling well."

Jay's eyes widen, and his gaze flicks to me.

I raise a brow. Jay is not asleep. He's also not sick. He looks perfectly fine, and his expression is just plain guilty.

I'm about to rat him out, but I bite my tongue. If Nya cared enough about me to cater to my every need, I wouldn't give it up.