Chapter 22

***So I'm viewing my suggested Youtube playlist, and I look down to see what song is next. It's "Say Something" by A Great Big World and Christina Aguilera.

SKIP.

Also, we all know...or kinda know...what happened with Lloyd last chapter, so the audience will know something the characters don't at first 🤐

And this song is a Jerry Lewis tune from "Rockabye Baby". It's a cute old show with the occasional joke that's no longer politically correct, but welcome to old movies, I guess <3***

***(Kai's POV)***

I yawn, tapping in Nya's number on my phone. Lloyd texted me that he'd arrived about an hour ago, but I was still out with Skye. She had a lot of emotional unloading to do about her business, so we were gone a bit longer than intended.

Nya picks up the call after a moment. "What do you want?"

"You sound like you're in a good mood," I chuckle, grabbing a glass of water from the tap. "Hey, I just got back, and Lloyd's not here anymore. Does he want me to just drive to the monastery to talk? I heard you guys found out something about Pythor's plan."

"He's not back yet. You're welcome to come to the monastery, though – I think you'll want to hear some of this stuff in person."

"Yeah. And it's been a few days since we've really had a chance to talk, you know? You hang out with the guys so much, it's like you've moved out again. I miss having you home."

"I'm staying here to keep an eye on Jay. He can't be alone right now." She huffs out a breath. "I'm surprised Lloyd just ran off, especially when we have an important mission. Plus, it's getting pretty late – it's after ten at night."

"Maybe he got hungry or something. Heaven knows you guys don't take care of yourselves on missions. When I'm staying with you, you only ever keep stale chips and reheat-able noodles around."

"That's all you keep around the shop," my sister points out.

"I can't help that you don't enjoy my cooking." But in all honesty, I'm afraid to eat half the stuff I make. I don't even like food preparation, so it's no doubt that Skylor will be the chef in our family.

It was probably a miracle she rescued Nya and I when she did. Nya was incredibly sheltered, didn't know how to stand up for herself, and probably didn't even know what a 'cup size' was before Skylor came along. Okay, that last one might be a little exaggerated.

And me? I was semi- a jerk. Just slightly.

I end the call with Nya and walk out to my car, hopping in the front seat and turning the key.

"Hello, Smith," growls an accented voice from beside me.

I jump, flopping backwards into my car door. "Holy Shintaro! Who the heck are you?!" I fumble with my doorhandle until it opens, and I fall out onto the sidewalk.

The man laughs, suddenly appearing beside me. "You are amusing."

"You – you're the Djinn!" I exclaim. "What do you want?!"

"I merely want to help you make a wish," he smirks. "I can grant wishes, you know."

"Not interested." Unless he can fix the status of my pantry cabinet, that is.

He raises an eyebrow. "Everybody's interested."

"I'm good." I pick myself up off the ground, dusting off my jeans and raising my fists at him. I create a flame with one hand.