Chapter 20

***Welcome to 4500 words of chaos :D

No song here. I couldn't find a good place to put one, so I didn't push it LOL***

***(Lloyd's POV)***

My mom asked me to pick up some tea for her on my way to get her from work. She said she usually stops at some small place in town.

I'm kind of fed up with her: I've been working my butt off trying to find an evil Djinn and a scheming serpentine, and she wants me to buy her tea?!

But at least Nya and Jay are done planning the wedding shower now. I'll have more help with missions. Cole's been busy with Seliel and foster care, Kai's been stressed with the wedding, and Zane...well, he and PIXAL have been my only aid.

I walk into the tea shop, wallet in hand. A bell rings above me.

"What do you want?" asks a familiar voice behind the counter.

I frown, looking up. "Principal Mystaké?"

She nods. "Oh, it's you. Are you here for your mother?"

"Yeah," I say slowly. "I didn't know you owned a tea shop."

"I have for years now. I'm only staying your principal until you finish high school. I hate that job."

O-kay, creepy vibes. "Why are you waiting until...I'm out of high school?"

"We Oni have to stick together." She shakes her head. "It's because you and your friends constantly get – got, now that they're graduated – into a buttload of trouble."

"Wait – I'm so confused here." I set my wallet down on the counter.

She sighs. "Don't be so slow, Lloyd. You're fully aware that you and your friends got into a lot of trouble back when they were in high school, yet they received very little correction. Ever wonder why?"

"Sometimes," I frown.

"It's because I'm on your side, dingbat." She snaps the magazine she's reading closed. "How's Pythor?"

I pale. "You know...how..." I grab my wallet, backing toward the door. "I think I...need to go." And call my team and tell them that their former principal is totally one of the bad guys.

She barks out a laugh. "You're really thick for a top student. Lloyd Garmadon – and yes, I know you aren't just any Garmadon, but the son of Lord Garmadon – I'm a friend of your uncle's. He's had me keeping an eye on you all for the past few years. I know all about current threats to Ninjago, and I know all about your ninja team. I'll prove it." She pulls something from under the counter.

I shiver, taking what appears to be a journal from her hands. "What is this?"

"It's a finances book. You'll notice that multiple times, I've made copies of checks from your uncle he's given to help me fund this place."

"Not surprising. The guy was – is, I guess – a tea maniac." I set the book down on the counter.

I guess he wouldn't fund her if she were one of the bad guys, right?

"It's a pity he's been trapped in another realm for so long," she sighs. "He's a good friend of mine. But he saw beyond the now, and he knew he needed to go to the Realm of Madness to replace Jay's mother there."

My eyes bug. "You..."

"Know everything about you? Yes. I know more than you do about you. Why don't you call your friends here, and we'll all sit down and have a chat? I've recently ordered a tea I think you'll be interested in for your current mission. You're welcome to wait outside until they get here, if you're feeling uncomfortable. I just don't want you loitering in my shop." She yawns as though she hasn't just told me my principal's life is a lie.