Chapter 19

***Hey, guys! Sorry for not updating for a few days. I've been busy 😘 But I promise to have at least one more chappy out there for you guys later, okay? Get ready for things to heat up a little.

Also, @SpaceCloud413 suggested this song <3 She's a sweet bean who loves Ninjago, so if you guys have the time, you should maybe go check out some of her works! And, of course, give her a follow.***

***(Skylor's POV)***

***Music Cue***

Kai wolf whistles as he rolls his car up beside my house. "Hello, gorgeous. Need a ride?"

I stifle an eye roll at his antics, but I can't help the smile that tilts my lips. "From a bozo like you? I think I'll just drive myself to my wedding shower, thank you."

"I'll let you listen to the Backstreet Boys."

"Let's go."

He smirks, climbing out to open the passenger side door for me. Kai always insists on driving – it helps his ego – and I put up with that. Okay, I put up with that about half the time, but no one asked for particulars.

I climb into the passenger side, and he smirks like he's just performed a service for the Ninjago City mayor or something. Yep, he's full of himself. Or he's full of something.

I pull out my Backstreet Boys CD – his car is old enough that it doesn't work with a Borgtooth playlist – and we head off down the road. He wears aviator sunglasses and rolls the windows down – there's no air conditioning, but boy, that windblown look is yummy on him.

He's oddly quiet throughout the ride. Usually, he'd be trying to make me blush or telling me about his latest argument with his sister or bragging about some overdramatized version of a story.

Not today.

"So what's on your mind?" I ask, propping my feet up on his dash.

"Huh?" he frowns, looking toward me.

Kai has no qualms about taking his eyes off the road. It's more than a little nerve-racking. The only person who isn't afraid of riding with him is Nya, since she's grown up with him as a chauffeur. I'm glad she took lessons from me and Jay and not her brother.

"What's on your mind?" I repeat. "You're pensive. And I could read your thoughts, or you could tell me how you're feeling and get the full benefit of sharing your troubles with someone."

"Nothing's on my mind." He taps his fingers along the wheel.

"You're a horrible liar." I don't let up.

He scrunches his eyebrows together. "You always say I don't think many things through. It's quite possible there's nothing on my mind."

"Kai, spill."

"Fine." He runs a hand through his hair.

After a moment of his silence, I clear my throat. "Um, Kai? You said you were going to talk to me."

"I'm finding words. It's...difficult."

"I get it." I grab his jittery fingers and still them with my own. I'm not afraid of him driving one-handed – it's no more reckless than any of the other driving he usually does.

"I know you do." He swallows hard. "Skylor...do you ever just have a feeling something bad is about to happen? I mean, I'm typically clueless, but this time...I just can't shake the idea that things are too perfect right now. You can call it premarital concerns or whatever you want, but I'm more than a little worried."