Chapter 21

***You know when you're sitting in front of a document, and you format the chapter number and POV for the chapter so nicely, and then you just sit there and...stare at the document?

Yup, that was my vibe yesterday LOL I'll try to double update today - I just need to look at my outline and see if I have inspiration for the next chapter...

This book will probably be finished within the next two weeks. School wants to throw a ten-page paper and two tests at me, all at the same time. I really shouldn't be dreading the paper - I can write ten pages no biggie in two evenings - but I still am sweating it LOL

Also, fun fact: These lyrics are also in Spanish in the video XD***

***(Jay's POV)***

Zane drives us back to the monastery tonight. I think we're all semi-concerned about Nya driving, but also...she's just been so quiet tonight, I don't know that she would have wanted to drive, anyway.

I elbow her from the seat next to her. "You okay?"

"Yeah." She shakes her head. "Just pensive. It's something I need to spend some time alone thinking about."

"I find it helpful to talk about my problems," I suggest.

"I don't."

I smile softly. "Yeah, I know. Just thought I'd offer that if you want to talk, I'm here."

"I know. Thanks." She looks out the window. "Did Kai respond to your message? Or Cole?"

I look down at my phone. "Cole, yes. Your brother? No. He's probably distracted or something."

"I don't want to know with what." She takes off her seatbelt. "We're here."

The vehicle slows to a stop, and I rise and follow her out of the SUV at a distance. I know she wants space right now, it's just...I'm kind of concerned as to why she's so quiet. She said she was thinking, but about what? Did she see something bad? Does one of us die?!

I run to catch up with her. "Nya – wait."

She stops in her tracks, turning to give me a solemn look over her shoulder.

I gulp. "You...you didn't see something really awful, right? The team stays alive and well?"

"As far as I could see, yes. But whom I'm really worried about" – she runs a hand through her hair – "is you."

My eyes bug. "Me?! What happens to me?! Oh my gosh, I'm not ready to die yet! I'm not even nineteen. I thought my best years were ahead of me. Oh – "

She shakes her head, smiling slightly. "No, Jay, you don't die yet." Her expression grows serious. "Um, I don't think. And we're going to do everything in our power...to not let that happen." She rubs my arm. "Come inside, okay?"

I swallow hard. "O-okay?"

"You're going to be just fine," she says resolutely. "Trust me on that. Now let's go talk, and I'll help put your concerns to rest." She opens the door to the monastery and heads in.

I fall into step with her. "I'm still really worried."

"You have right to be." She doesn't look at me.

"That doesn't make me feel any better!" I cry.

"I can't paint over the truth," she sighs. "Jay...it's going to take a lot out of you to defeat Pythor, as far as I can tell."

"What do you mean, a lot?!"

She heads into the TV room, where Cole is already sitting on the sofa. He has his phone out and is talking with Seliel – again.