9

Seokjin

My mind was reeling from what happened earlier on today. The Prince, the actual Crown Prince of the monarchy, had asked me out on a date! My heart was beating so fast in my chest as I made my way down to the kitchens.

"Well, someone looks quite dipper this evening," Hyun, our head chef observed. I smiled coyly and ran to my station to get to my apron and wash my hands.

"Well, you never know who you might see tonight right?" I winked at him and he laughed at my nonsense but crinkled his eyes at me nonetheless.

"You sweet on someone and not telling me Jinnie?" He quizzed me and I blushed harder.

"No hyung. I'm just saying, you never know right?"

"Hmmmm.....," he said quietly and let it go finally.

I breathed a sigh of relief and tried to contain my excitement.

"So what's with the night duty? Are we having a banquet?" I asked him as the other staff started to arrive.

"No. But the King and Queen are having some special guests over tonight. We think they're here to discuss the prince's marriage," he winked at me and I froze.

His marriage? He's getting married? But, why would he ask me for a dinner date then? Was I reading too much into his request? Was he just being kind to a servant? My mood was sullied after that and I absorbed myself in my work, getting the desserts ready. I had made the crusts for the jelly pies earlier and the meringues.

I cut up the fresh fruit meticulously and plated each one with care and attention to detail. When it was time to take them out, chef asked me to do it since the waiters were all already engaged upstairs. I cleaned myself up and neatened my attire before placing everything on the dinner trolley and taking the elevator up.

When the elevator stopped on the first floor landing and the Prince himself stepped inside, all decked out in his royal finery, I wanted to curl up and die at my idiocy of earlier.

"Seokjin. What a pleasure it is to find you here." He smiled widely and I did a small curtsy before standing back up and bowing to him formally.

"Your grace. It is good to see you again," I said quietly, not meeting his eyes.

"Have I done something to earn your anger in any way? You're not calling me by my name as I've already requested of you and your whole demeanour speaks of resentment," he observed and I became slightly flustered that he had caught me out so easily.

"I am sorry Jungkook. Please do not mind me. If you will allow me, I need to go up to the fourth floor," I indicated for him to press the button down for me.

He closed the doors and locked the elevator instead. My eyes went wide at his actions.

"Jungkook, please. The desserts will melt and be spoiled," I tried.

"Fuck the desserts Seokjin! I know you're keeping something from me. It's written on your face as plain as day," he insisted and I flinched at his raised voice.